Yeast nutrient.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
After yeast nutrient ( dap and fermax) are added to wine does it need to be stirred or racked periodically or just leave it. I have my wine in a conical and I dumped some a few days after adding the nutrient and it was a lot of thick white stuff. Is this the nutrient or the yeast hulls supposedly in the fermax or something else?

I'm confused by your question. You add nutrient during the ferment. It sounds like you added it after--is this right???

No I added it in the middle of fermentation. I purchased juice buckets that were already half way through fermentation when I bought them. I immediately added it.

Wine will continue to drop stuff for several months after you have racked off the gross lees. This is the normal process of clearing. Your conical fermenter is allowing it to collect all in one spot vs being all spread out on the bottom in a carboy.

After yeast nutrient ( dap and fermax) are added to wine does it need to be stirred or racked periodically or just leave it.

The Yeast Nutrient should be stirred in. After that, you stir to keep the yeast suspended and help fermentation, sink the grape skins, etc.

I have my wine in a conical and I dumped some a few days after adding the nutrient and it was a lot of thick white stuff. Is this the nutrient or the yeast hulls supposedly in the fermax or something else?

The nutrient should have been consumed. You should be collecting the yeast and other stuff (lees).

Latest posts

Back