Yeast Nutrient Too Early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaforres

Junior
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I started a kit of cabernet sauvignon. This is my first time attempting a kit. In the excitement, I misread the yeast nutrient package as yeast. After putting in the nutrient, which the directions say to do around day 5, I put in the yeast. Any thoughts on what to do? Just ride it out and hope for the best? Thank you -J

Not a problem, really. I put my nutrient in at the same time as yeast, some others wait a few days, others use staggered additions. What you end up with after a few kits or on grapes is what works for you, or is required by timing.

also- the instruction timeline is based on the fermentation pace. If you added nutrient in the beginning and added yeast on “day 5” then those 1st 5 days are a wash. Your new day 1 is today (or whatever day you added the actual yeast). You can safely continue on as if you just started lik @franc1969 said, and just pay no mind to the nutrient step since it’s already been added. No harm done. You’ll notice a big difference in the wine in about 24 hours as the yeast get to work. Good luck and enjoy the smell of your fermenting cab. And welcome to WMT

if the nutrient is or contains DAP (incl fermaid K, LD Carlson ‘energizer’, fermax) it is less than ideal to add at pitch as it can stress the yeast during the lag phase.

ultimately, relax, don’t worry, have a glass of wine, and keep it in mind for next time. The other thing to keep in mind for next time is that fermentations don’t occur on a schedule. Nutrients should be added at or before 1/3 of the fermentable sugars have been consumed, not after a certain number of days.

Latest posts

Back