Yeast nutrient for pre-inoculated juic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I have a most Barolo and Amorosso going. To the Barolo I added one lug of nebbiolo grapes and the amoroso I added 2 lugs of sangiovese. Both have been fermenting for about 2-3 days. The Barolo is already at brix of 5 and the amoroso is at 15. I'm wondering if I should add some yeast nutrient to the Amorosso or if it would have already been added by the manufacturer.

Ideally, you want to add after about 1/3 of the sugar is consumed. But I have no way of knowing if the supplier added any. So, have you noticed any off odors? If so, absolutely give it some food. And even if you haven't, after 2-3 days, it might not be a bad idea.

I've never known of any supplier adding nutrient. So it's important to add nutrient to these buckets,that have had the culture added, as soon as you receive them.

It was done and over too fast. The barolo was done after 3 days and the amarosso is done at 4.

Always add nutrients!!!! I add at rehydrate and three more times during fermenting.... HS2 is an ugly thing.... Even in low doses!

Sam

Well, if the ferment is too far along, then it's wise not to add nutrient as that can favor any existing organisms to create a good environment for themselves. Sometimes, you're just forced into doing things that you wouldn't normally do!!!

Actually the barolo does have a little smell to it. To me it smells of urine. I guess it could be sulfur? I read online to stir with c copper pipe and possibly use something that starts with a b. I can't remember the name.

Picking up my Amarosso bucket this morning and will add fermaid k for sure tomorrow, or maybe even today as soon as I open the bucket.

Latest posts

Back