Yeast issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was no reason to run it through the blender. All that needed to be done was to smash it with a potato smasher or your hands thus breaking open the skins, placing it in a nylon brew bag and then into the primary fermenter. I remove my blueberry skins once my sg is below 1.020.
By blending it you also chopped up the seeds, which are bitter and can give the wine an off flavor.
Thanks for the info. So, you actual put the nylon in the primary fermenter. I was worried that enough fruit would come in contact with the yeast. I guess my rookie is showing. LOL Thanks again

You should also add pectic enzyme to the must when fermenting on the skins. It helps extract and break down the fuirt from the skins and also helps in clearing the wine once fermentation is complete.
When adding pectic enzyme, you would add it to the must 12 to 24 hours prior to pitching the yeast.
I did do that. Thanks

There was no reason to run it through the blender. All that needed to be done was to smash it with a potato smasher or your hands thus breaking open the skins, placing it in a nylon brew bag and then into the primary fermenter. I remove my blueberry skins once my sg is below 1.020.
By blending it you also chopped up the seeds, which are bitter and can give the wine an off flavor.
The nylon bag makes removal so mush easier. Thanks

Also, you should be using a 5 gallon bucket or pale to ferment in for your primary, covered with a towel. This way it also makes it easier to squeeze the fuirt in the nylon bag once or twice a day. The fuirt needs to be squeezed in order to help break it down for the yeast to ferment on and to ensure that the fuirt is not drying out as it rises to the top. The bag and fruit will float up on top of the wine during fermentation due to all the C02 gasses that the yeast are producing. This is a normal function of fermenting on the skins. It's called the cap. So at least once a day, preferably 2 or 3 times a day, squeeze the bag and push it down under the liquid level. It will float back up, this is also normal. Continue doing this until the sg is below 1.020 at which point you will drain and squeeze as much liquid as you can from the bag and then remove it. Most of us here compost the remains of the bag. Now you can rack into a carboy and place under an airlock for the wine to ferment to completion and clarify.

Also, you should be using a 5 gallon bucket or pale to ferment in for your primary, covered with a towel. This way it also makes it easier to squeeze the fuirt in the nylon bag once or twice a day. The fuirt needs to be squeezed in order to help break it down for the yeast to ferment on and to ensure that the fuirt is not drying out as it rises to the top. The bag and fruit will float up on top of the wine during fermentation due to all the C02 gasses that the yeast are producing. This is a normal function of fermenting on the skins. It's called the cap. So at least once a day, preferably 2 or 3 times a day, squeeze the bag and push it down under the liquid level. It will float back up, this is also normal. Continue doing this until the sg is below 1.020 at which point you will drain and squeeze as much liquid as you can from the bag and then remove it. Most of us here compost the remains of the bag. Now you can rack into a carboy and place under an airlock for the wine to ferment to completion and clarify.
Thanks again

Well, I added yeast and still very low yeast action. Last night I strained out the pulp. I've heard you can't leave the pulp in for too long. I transferred it into a 3gal carboy and I noticed much more airlock action. So, I don't know what will happen now. I'm just hoping for the best. Two days ago the SG was only 1.068. I will check it again tonight. I completely forgot to check last night.

@Kcuret, relax, things appear to be going well. A few thoughts:

1) Fermentation may not appear to be active for up to 72 hours.

2) Not all fermentations are vigorous -- for some, it may appear that the must is just fizzy.

3) Fermentation can complete in 4 days (this is unusual) and may take weeks, depending on fruit, nutrients, temperature, etc. IME most take 5 to 8 days, but I've had cold fermentations take 3+ weeks.

4) Avoid the temptation to mess with the wine too much. The yeast is doing its thing.

Keep the wine in an open bucket until the SG drops below 1.020. Most of us rack between 1.010 and "done" (0.996 or lower).

@Kcuret, relax, things appear to be going well. A few thoughts:

1) Fermentation may not appear to be active for up to 72 hours.

2) Not all fermentations are vigorous -- for some, it may appear that the must is just fizzy.

3) Fermentation can complete in 4 days (this is unusual) and may take weeks, depending on fruit, nutrients, temperature, etc. IME most take 5 to 8 days, but I've had cold fermentations take 3+ weeks.

4) Avoid the temptation to mess with the wine too much. The yeast is doing its thing.

Keep the wine in an open bucket until the SG drops below 1.020. Most of us rack between 1.010 and "done" (0.996 or lower).
Thanks a bunch

Latest posts

Back