yeast For OVZ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
Im going to make some old vine zin again with a little petit sirah added, in each fermenting tub im going to put 3 lugs of ovz and 1 lug of petit sirah, 144lbs in each, my ??'s are , how much potassium metabisulfite should i add to each tub to stun the yeast off the grapes?..and 24hrs later i believe i should use 2 >5gram packs of yeast per tub?? is this correct?..i would also like to give the yeast some good nutrients so i have a nice ferment, could someone help me out on this, maybe what combo yeast&nutrients for this blend, thk you for the help..:b

not sure what yeasts you have acces to .

if its the usual lalvin ones , you might consider ec 1118 as it can tollerate high alcohol, rarely gets stuck , is easy to start , and is unlikely to produce h2s.
a good dependable yeast for someone fairly new to grape winemaking, and it gives a nice clean ferment.

2 packets per tub should be ok , you could use 3 to be sure.

assumeing you are using 36 pound lugs , 1/3 of a tsp of kmeta dissolved in 100ml of water and mixed well in each tub should be fine at crush.
1/2 a tsp if the grapes have travelled a long way or are in rough shape at all.

I like fermaid K for a nutirent. half of it added at the very first signs of a cap forming and the other half added when your hydrometer shows the ferment is 1/3 of the way done and still has 2/3 of its sugar left.
if you miss the 1/3 mark , make sure you get the second dose in there before it hits the half way mark.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of D254 yeast myself. That's what I use on the majority of my reds.

I'm a big fan of D254 yeast myself. That's what I use on the majority of my reds.
Well since you have 2 tubs the perfect yeast selection to go with D254 is D80.
One tub of each blended together later when finished will give you much more complexity to the wine then if you just used one of these and would be more than worth doing.

Ec 1118 is a no brainer for a lot of good reasons but would not come close to a D254 D80 combination in the end.

Easy way to remember yeast amounts is 5 grams ( 1 packet ) per 2 boxes ( 10 - 20 percent more is not a bad idea either, less than 1/2 packet more per 2 boxes)

Malvina

Last edited:
+1 on the D254. Used it last year on 3 varietals and the flavor profile/aroma is incredible and the wine is only ~9 mo old now.

thk you all for the help..i apprc it very much, with the d254..who puts this yeast out? what kind of nutrients should i use with this yeast and how much do i add at what times?? thk you again ...apprc it..kendo:hug

I did an Old Vine Zin back in 2008 turn out a double gold winner at M&M. 10 lugs OVZ, 2 lugs petite Syrah. Brix 24.5, TA .67 (sorry can't find what PH was). I used RC212, yeast nutrient and punched down 3 times a day at first then 2 times a day. She finished fermentation pretty fast (6 days).
I used 1/4 k-meta per 5 gallons of must. Added Pectin at (1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons of must). Waited 24 hours before pitching yeast.
That being said I now try to stay away from RC212, I heard to many conflicting stories of sulphur issues. This year I plan to use either D254 or Rockpile RP15 on my OVZ.

OK I Ordered 6 > 5 gram packs of the D254, and some fermaid k for nutrients will this be a ok nutrient to go with the lalvin d254?..:sm

If you have acess to more variety of yeasts , rock pile is hands down my favorite Zinfandel yeast.

D254 is better for cab Sauvignon and Bordeaux blends .

But for a rookie winemaker I still recommend 1118 .

If you have acess to more variety of yeasts , rock pile is hands down my favorite Zinfandel yeast.

D254 is better for cab Sauvignon and Bordeaux blends .

But for a rookie winemaker I still recommend 1118 .

I have used Rockpile for the past 3 years but I am not sold on it being better that the D254 / D 80 Combination. But if I were to use one yeast I agree completely Rockpile would be my choice.
Malvina

Altavino, ive made wine from grapes with just the wild yeast from the grapes, the batches came out very good!!..i am now going to do the cultured yeast to compare, i have RP15, D245,D80,EC1118 Yeast to use with all the fixings> with go ferm pertect, fermaid k, opti red, lallzyme EX, now its just choosing what combo:HB

Sorry it was the uncertainty you had with nutrients that lead me to believe you were a rookie.

D80 in one fermenter andd 254 in another certainly is a great combination. Used it many times .

I just really like the rock pile with zin

If you have all 3 there is no reason you couldn't split the batch in 3 and use them all

Im going with D80 In 0ne And D254 In The Other, and i will blend the two together when finished, im also going to put one oak winestix in one of the carboys to add just a little oak to the mix..:dg

Latest posts

Back