Taste/Testing Homemade wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadera83

Junior
Reaction score
After years finally got back into making wine. I did red petite sirah and white saugignon blanc. Question I have is after fermentation i did a rack. After one month I did my second racking. Everything seems to be in order, and i took a taste of each. Not bad, but im looking to see if its just time i need to finish, or if there is something i can add to make it a bit smoother or less bite/aftertaste. I only put in the meta after each racking. Should i be using something else. Is there a place to send a sample to to figure if im missing somehting? Thanks in advance?

Adding oak during aging adds tannin, but don’t overdo it. How big are the carboys?

I have a 5 gallon batch of wild grape that was very sharp and foxy tasting. I cold stabilized it, added an oak spiral, and more importantly, gave it some time. I tasted it a few days ago, and at 14 months it is muuuch improved.

Adding oak during aging adds tannin, but don’t overdo it. How big are the carboys?

I have a 5 gallon batch of wild grape that was very sharp and foxy tasting. I cold stabilized it, added an oak spiral, and more importantly, gave it some time. I tasted it a few days ago, and at 14 months it is muuuch improved.
i am using 5 gallon carboys

Same here. One medium toast spiral in 5 gallons was just the ticket. Not oaky at all. Just smoothed it out some.
And tied to some fishing line fed up thru the bung. Yuuuuge benefit. I just leave the spirals/stix in there indefintly too. One per carboy will never overdo it For big reds. Then when either racking or bottling the oak removal is an afterthought.

the spool of fishing line was moved into the winemaking drawer and has been there ever since.

As others have already said, your wine is young, probably full of CO2, and is far now from what it will be. Patience is your friend -- taste again in 3 months.

I use cubes, as they are configurable (can add as much or little as you want, and can mix types), and are cheaper. However, once they go in, they stay in until you rack. I go light on oak and leave them in up to a year.

Latest posts

Back