WineXpert Yeast for Malbec?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@sour_grapes and @geek, how did your Malbecs turn out? Would you do anything different?

I'd need to open another bottle but last time I tasted it I was not impressed with the flavor at all.
I wonder if doing a "cold stabilization" affected the profile (I did the CS in my garage, take a look at my previous post).
But again I'd have to taste it again.

Thanks, Varis. I've seen references to cold stabilization, but I haven't done much research on it because it didn't seem required. When you get around to tasting again, I'd be interested in the results. I want to start up a Malbec in Aug, so I'm reading through older threads for information.

I want to start up a Malbec in Aug, so I'm reading through older threads for information.

Ditto with me. That is the last kit I'm planning to make this summer (famous last words) but have to wait for a carboy to open up before I start it. Seeing that some of the reviews aren't spectacular, I'm looking for a different yeast to try my luck with. Already have the kit so I have to make it.

@geek and @sourgrapes , any notes on future tastings would be appreciated!

Also, I'm seeing conflicting threads about sprinkling dry yeast on the must vs rehydrating in water vs rehydrating with Go Ferm (or similar) when doing a yeast swap. Since most of those threads are a couple years old, is there more of a consensus on what you do when you yeast swap? Does it matter what yeast is used? Or more simply - what did you do?

Personally, I always sprinkle the yeast on top of the must I am going to ferment and never had a problem, others hydrate; regardless of swapping the yeast or not.

What is important, to me, is the nutrition for the yeast once the alcoholic fermentation is going.

Also, I'm seeing conflicting threads about sprinkling dry yeast on the must vs rehydrating in water vs rehydrating with Go Ferm (or similar) when doing a yeast swap. Since most of those threads are a couple years old, is there more of a consensus on what you do when you yeast swap? Does it matter what yeast is used? Or more simply - what did you do?

I think you hit the nail square with the hammer on that one. There are many ways to do it, each has their own reasoning why they do it the way they prefer. I rehydrate because I use Go Ferm and it doesn't work as well mixing the yeast in when dry. I use the Go Ferm because it supposedly gives the yeast the things it needs to survive towards the end of fermentation when conditions don't favor the yeasts survival (high alcohol and decreasing nutrients).

I'd pick a way and use it until it fails you. Haven't had an issue the way I've been doing it, but I'm still a newbie (only 34 batches so far).

I'd pick a way and use it until it fails you. Haven't had an issue the way I've been doing it, but I'm still a newbie (only 34 batches so far).

That works for me. Since I sprinkle yeast in the bread machine without rehydrating, I'll likely pitch dry on the must until it fails me. I picked up some Fermaid K to help out the higher requirement yeasts.

Back