yeast fermenting temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
Is there any benifit in fermenting on the low side of the recommended yeast temp range as compared to fermenting on the high side? I know in beer making, from my own personal experiences, I can taste a difference. I have never tried in with wine though.

Yes it can make a difference especially whites with aromatic esters. In general if you ferment lower and slower it preserves those esters. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure it has adequate nutrients andmonitor the fermentation for activity. If it slows too much warm a bit to prevent a stuck fermentation and problems later.

Let me also qualify Appleman's statements to say that this method is for grapes only. Kit wines are processed in such a way that those esters are long processed out during the concentration process, and that low and slow fermentations on a kit usually just invite problems.

However, if you do get yourself some fresh pressed juice from white grapes, certainly ferment on the low end of the scale!

Fruit wines like this can benefit very well. I always start my fermentations nice and warm to get them going really well and then cool ferment them around 63* or there abouts until I reach an sg of about 1.020 and then bring the temp back up to around 70* to make sure it finishes.

Yep, you would do well with cool fermentations. I just wanted to make sure that no kit makers would make that mistake.

Definitely agree with the nutrients, especially at lower temperatures. Be careful with what and how much you use, however. Lalvin's web site not has a WARNING about using urea based nutrients (what we ahve all used forever) that the urea compounds can be toxic to yeasts, especialy during rehydration and early activation.) GOFERM for rehydration and ENDOFERM for fermentation keeps you away from the urea problems, and really makes for vigorous fermentation.

Dean....I partially agree with your statement about wine kits. What you say is very true of the lower priced kits, but not necessarily true with higher end kits were more of the organoleptic qualities of the grape are retained (solids and precursors). This is especially true of the AJ kits, which are simply stabilized free run juice. As I stated on another thread, I tested this with Viogner at 55* and 68*. The average Davis Scores for these were 18s for the 55* and 16s and 17s for the 68*. The judges comments were always the same......the 55* had more nose, more true fruit, and a more delicate finish.

Latest posts

Back