Yeast and volume

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A typical Red Star yeast packet is 5 grams and is recommended for 5 gallons. I'm making an ice cider where 5 or 6 gallons of cider are concentrated down to one gallon. This means that although the volume is only one gallon, all the sugar from 5 gallons is in that one gallon. Would you add all 5 grams of yeast, or only 1 gram?

At first I added only 1 gram, then second guessed myself a couple days later and added the rest of the packet. I'm thinking now that it was a mistake to add the rest of the yeast because it has been very difficult to stop the fermentation at the right residual sugar level. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

When you get to the desired SG just add k-meta and sorbate. That should kill off the yeast and allow for clearing/aging. Unless you used Montrachet yeast you shouldn't have a problem.

Zog said:
A typical Red Star yeast packet is 5 grams and is recommended for 5 gallons. I'm making an ice cider where 5 or 6 gallons of cider are concentrated down to one gallon. This means that although the volume is only one gallon, all the sugar from 5 gallons is in that one gallon. Would you add all 5 grams of yeast, or only 1 gram?

At first I added only 1 gram, then second guessed myself a couple days later and added the rest of the packet. I'm thinking now that it was a mistake to add the rest of the yeast because it has been very difficult to stop the fermentation at the right residual sugar level. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

The yeast keeps multiplying until sugar is used up or it reaches its alcohol tolerance.

I do not believe that there are any problems that you can encounter by add "too much" yeast. Since a partial package is not worth saving (IMHO), wi would simply use the whole packet.

One packet will do between one and six gallons (even more if you let it go long enough, but not a good idea). Over 6 gallons add two packets.

This means that although the volume is only one gallon, all the sugar from 5 gallons is in that one gallon. Would you add all 5 grams of yeast, or only 1 gram?

WBS,

He is fermenting only 1 gallon in volume. Shouldn't 1 Packet be more than enough?

Last edited:
Yes, only one gallon. My question is should I have used less than a full packet? Would that have made it easier to stop fermentation and have created less sediment.

John, yes one packet is enough.
Zog, use one packet for any where from one to 6 gallons. So in your case yes, use the whole packet. It won't hurt anything, just speed things up a bit. Fermentation will stop ( or at least slow down ) when all the sugar is consumed by the yeast. The amount of sediment will be the same because the yeast will continue to multiply to fill its enviorment.

You COULD use only one chunk out of the entire pack and it will still ferment. Or, just the opposite, you could use 5 packs and it will still ferment. The yeast cells will multiply as much as needed to get the job done.

Thank Mother Nature for that!

You COULD use only one chunk out of the entire pack and it will still ferment. Or, just the opposite, you could use 5 packs and it will still ferment. The yeast cells will multiply as much as needed to get the job done.

Thank Mother Nature for that!

There is an advantage to getting the fermentation "up to speed" quicker. The question I would ask is what would be sone with the rest of the packet (if only using an ounce)? At around $1 per packet, I would just use the entire thing.

Myth

When you get to the desired SG just add k-meta and sorbate. That should kill off the yeast and allow for clearing/aging. Unless you used Montrachet yeast you shouldn't have a problem.

Sorbate does not kill the yeast, it only prevents reproduction. SO2 stuns wine yeast, it also does not kill it (unless yeast is weakened). The only way to stop an active fermentation is to remove the yeast via filtering or introduce an agent to kill it. Any yeasts that are still viable after introduction of Sorbate and k-meta will continue to consume sugars until they die of old age, sugar is gone, or alchohol is at toxic range. That is why most here will prefer to ferment to dry, let the yeast die out on its own, then sorbate, k-meta and backsweeten - instead of trying to stop an active fermentation at a set SG.

Latest posts

Back