Yeast and Nutrient Selection and Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping the more experienced wine-makers can answer. I have done a lot of research on the topic but the amount of information and opinions out there is overwhelming.

This season I am making three batches of wine out of fresh juice. I am looking for recommendations on the yeast and nutrient selections

Batch #1: White Blend of Chardonnay and Riesling
Yeast: ICV-D47 - researched its great for both Chardonnay and Riesling
Nutrients: The yeast calls for normal nutrients. Go-ferm and Fermaid K all that I need?
MLF: No

Batch #2: Amarone
Yeast: Either BM4x4 or ICV-D254 - opinions?
Nutrients: Calls for normal nutrients. Go-ferm and Fermaid K all that I need?
MLF; Yes, plan to but do you have recommendations on what to buy for this?

Batch #3: Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
Yeast: Either BM4x4 or ICV-D254 - opinions?
Nutrients: Calls for normal nutrients. Go-ferm and Fermaid K all that I need?
MLF: Undecided. Thoughts?

Besides the yeast selection I am curious if I am on the right track with nutrient selection or if I am missing something. I am also new to MLF and would like some recommendations.

Any help is appreciated!

I like all of the yeast options that you have, the only additional one that you should consider is CY 3079 for your Chardonnay.

Agreed on the nurtrient protocol.

As far as MLF, that's a personal choice for the Chardonnay, for the other two, I wouldn't consider not doing MLF. As @salcoco stated, the morewinemaking manuals are a wonderful resource for getting it done well...

Thanks for the insight as always. I will check out the manuals for the MLF process.

Do you guys rack before MLF or start MLF right after primary fermentation with the gross lees still present? I have read people doing it both ways.

I think you'll find this is a matter of personal choice as well. Co inoculation is becoming very popular although I have not yet joined that school. I would think you should do at least one racking shortly after press. I used to do a second in 2-3 weeks before adding the MLB but this year I'm only doing the initial racking and allowing the MLB to feed on the remaining lees. No experience with the outcome though.

Thanks for the insight as always. I will check out the manuals for the MLF process.

Do you guys rack before MLF or start MLF right after primary fermentation with the gross lees still present? I have read people doing it both ways.

If you choose post inoculation, wait until after your first rack off of gross lees. Otherwise you’ll be leaving bacteria behind in the lees.

Latest posts

Back