Yard sale carboy and corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjr

Reaction score
Ok so I picked up a carboy and corker at a yard sale for 18 bucks im so excited but how can I get this carboy clean its oldddd he said it just been sitting in his garage and what type of corker? He said he never had pennies or anything in it

1417878396262.jpg

1417878414699.jpg

1417878429207.jpg

Nice pickups, great price. I don't know anything about the "corker" and I sort of think that is a capper, not a corker, but I might be way off base with that.

As to cleaning that carboy, fill it with fairly warm water and rinse out a few times. Then fill it, add one scoop full of oxyclean and let it sit overnight or for a full day maybe. You may need to repeat and you may need to get a drill mounted carboy cleaner to run around in there. Think carwash pom-poms for a carboy, they run about $10-15, but are almost a must have for cleaning stubborn stuff inside carboys.

Ok thanks also ya it came with caps I see now lol I was just overly excited but could I somehow make it into a corker maybe fabricate something?

It looks like it might be a 6 gallon carboy. If you do the soak in oxyclean thing, I'd measure how much water it takes to fill it up. Nothing like making a 6 gallon batch and then finding out your carboy takes 6.5 gallons or something. I have three 6 gallon and a dozen 5 gallon carboys and it seems like there are 4 or 5 different volumes that they hold.

Yea its alot more round than a 5. And ill keep the corker I may do beer eventually

I have 2 cappers just like that, handed down from my father. I use them for skeeter pee in Corona bottles. you can also cap champagne bottles with it.

Ok that's good to kno. I have the carboy just soaking in water now and later ill soak bleach then oxygen clean but it looks good already im so excited this is my first big carboy except the one gallons I got look out liver its going to be a fun winter

1417898240217.jpg

don't put bleach in it! You really should keep bleach away from your winemaking area and equipment. Just use the oxyclean, like everyone said, the one with the green lid because it does not have bleach in it.

Please explain why no bleach ( im only a couple months into this and I was under the impression that if very careful with thorough rinsing I could sanitize with bleach?

Also the carboy held 8 gallons of water tonight is that unusual? The guy said it sat in his garage for 30 plus years also am I an idiot using it could it be worth some crazy money? Or have I had to much skeeter pee?

It is hard to get the bleach smell/flavor out of your equipment. All the beer/winemaking cleaners are basically flavorless or unscented. You don't want to drink bleach do you?

That's my understanding anyway. Others could correct me tho.

It is hard to get the bleach smell/flavor out of your equipment. All the beer/winemaking cleaners are basically flavorless or unscented. You don't want to drink bleach do you?

That's my understanding anyway. Others could correct me tho.

It's also a cause of TCA (cork taint), which might make your wine taste like wet cardboard. :s

+ to what Calving and Boatboy24 have said, you cannot sanitize if you are rinsing after you sanitize, you defeat the purpose of sanitizing.

Well that does make perfect sense that's all ive done so far lol ill be sure to order some starsan

Capper...

I have a Capper like yours. The Corker piece missing. I keep it tied with a piece of Para Cord to keep it from getting lost.

It's a metal tube that sits on top of your wine bottle that compresses the cork into the bottle.

To switch from Caps to Corker one would pull the clip and reverse the shaft insert the handle and clip. You might have to play with the handle / shaft fit to get the height you need.

I bought a Portugese Floor Corker...

Back