Cellar Craft Yakima Valley Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
George must have gotten another shipment in. Just picked up a Syrah. He has a few more!

I would like some opinions please.

Pitched yeast on this Syrah 7 days ago, temp constant 71-72 degrees, SG (as I read was 1.021). Day 5 was 1.008. Now on day 7, SG reads .993. Instructions say to rack to secondary and add enzyme when below 1.000 which is figured to be days 10-12.

I was about to rack based on SG, but then I wondered if it may need a little more time in contact with the grape pack.

Advice please?

Sounds like your fermentation is basically complete. I'm not sure that you will really get all that much out of the grape pack at this point - especially if you've been actively squeezing it or something like that. Remember that the given number of days in the instructions can be general.

Thanks boat boy and southern chemist.
I have now racked, added enzyme, and topped up with a full bottle of Shiraz.

At this point what purpose does the enzyme serve?

The enzyme is only added after the gross lees are racked off as the bentonite will deactivate the enzyme. The enzyme breaks down a protein ring that can sometimes form after you transfer to secondary.

Also, I would like to leave the oak cubes in a little bit longer then the instructions say to add them in at clearing and leave them for about 3 weeks.

In about 10 days, I will rack from secondary to a new carboy and add KMeta.

Would it make a difference if I:

A. Only added Kmeta and maybe sorbate and my oak cubes and let sit for about six weeks before clearing agents.

B. Went ahead with Kmeta, sorbate and clearing agents then added my oak cubes after clearing and let sit for about six weeks while bulk aging.

Is one preferred over the other?

It's about time to rack this Syrah for clearing. If I add the cubes now, they will only be in for 3 weeks or so.
I think I read somewhere to wait and throw in the cubes after clearing if I want them in a little longer. Does this matter?

Or, can I add KMeta, sorbate, cubes after racking, and then clear in about 6 weeks?

You can add them now then once it clears pull them out, rinse them off and add back in once you have the fines racked off. Doesn't matter. Just do not RUSH this wine. It needs 3 months minimum of bulk aging.

Thanks guys. I'm racking today or tomorrow. I'll add cubes then. Thanks.

Back