RJ Spagnols WS Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m056432

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just started the Super Tuscan (based off of everyone's rave reviews) and I have a couple questions. To start, this is my 4th kit so I'm still learning and I followed the instructions without any modifications. The initial SG was 1.084 and went up 24 hr later after adding the skins to 1.100 (as expected), temp has been steady at 73F. I racked it to the carboy on day 7 at 1.010. It's now day 14 and I just checked the SG and it's .990 (and still some small sporadic bubbles) I'm def reading it right and I've checked the hygrometer's calibration in water. I thought I've read on other threads people fermenting dry in the high .99's. I'm curious if others have seen this low of a SG with the super tuscan since I still have 14 days to go, plus my hygrometer only goes to .990 (it may actually be closer to .899 but there's no lines to read lower than a .990)

My other question has to do with stabilizing. Each of my previous 3 kits were dry (and steady for a few days) before the instructions said. Do you guys wait until the specified day, in this case with the super tuscan, day 28, or go by the SG which in this case I would assume would be well before day 28. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either method?

Sounds to me like its not only finished but starting to degas on its own a bit. I would go ahead a rack once more if you have gross lees still on, etc rack them off and then go ahead and degas properly, stabilize and fine. Also make sure you top it off with a similar or like wine to the neck of the carboy.

I cant speak to your SG as I never get below .993 or 4. On your stabilizing question I usually let it sit one week past dry in secondary then top up and let rest another week or two, at LEAST till date instructions suggest often a week more. If I let it primary to dry I rack to secondary at dry, top up and let rest a couple weeks then stabilize. Hope this helps.

My suggestion is to use the instructions as a guide in determining time; your particular kit will be different for many reasons including environment. Stabilizing is not required on any particular day. Beyond that, however, the stabilizing process includes degassing. You can save yourself some effort by being patient and allowing the wine to degas naturally (which it will at 73F) rather than stabilizing prematurely.

Is your hydrometer calibrated to 60 degrees or 68 degrees F? If it is the former and the temperature of the wine is in the 70's, it could explain the low SG. There is a correction factor that should be added to the reading due to higher than calibrated temperatures. Could be an explanation, not sure.

The two times I've made this kit, they both started at 1.094, were 1.102 about 12 hours after adding the skins, and finished at 0.996/5. But these are just numbers and with kits, especially at this caliber of kits, the wine will do it's own thing and make a good product, unless we screw up the process ourselves.
You are relatively new at this and numbers are good guides to show us what's happening, and it's right for you to question them when they seem out of whack. Both your starting and finishing SG' s look low and there's no doubt a reason for that; perhaps you didn't stir hard enough to start or added too much water, perhaps a temperature differential as was mentioned, perhaps the CO2 floated your hydrometer at the end. The important thing, though, is that you probably let the wine do it's own thing correctly and you will end up with a wine that is very good.
I would leave the wine sitting for the allotted time (day 28 or so) and then stabilize as per instructions.

Thanks everyone... Being new to the hobby, I've "rushed" my other 3 wines so I have some inventory to drink (and to free up a carboy for the super tuscan!) but I'm going to hold off rushing this one, so I'll let it sit until day 28 or so and see what happens.

My WS Super Tuscan that I just bottled yesterday fermented to .992. Bulk aged for four months and bottled yesterday (needed carboy for CC Showcase OVZ) and it was very good. Looking forward to the coming months....

I have hit below .992 before in the past couple times I have fermented. So, it is possible but it really should not matter all that much really.

Back