RJ Spagnols WS Super Tuscan Yeast bm 4x4 guidence

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

Well since i started my newly adventures into home wine making i have been tweaking my kits from the start.

My first kit I made a WE Eclipse Pinot Noir. With the help of Joeswine it is turning out to be a great wine. I added 1 lbs of blackberries into the secondary and 2 tbs of FT Rouge Soft. Its currently in bulk aging and taste is really good. Great fruit forward smell, medium body, and good mouthfell. excited to see how it turns out after bulk aging.

I did something similar to my WE selection California cab/merlot but added FT Rouge and will add french medium oak spirals to taste during bulk aging.

Now for my question. I read that BM 4x4 yeast is a great yeast to use in the super tuscan. Has anyone used this yeast that could explain the nutrients needed? I just ordered Go ferm and fermaid with the bm 4x4 yeast.
my plan is to add 1lb of raisins and tannin to secondary and medium french oak spiral to taste during bulk. If anyone has any guidence with the use of bm 4x4 please advice.... thanks

Carlos,

I'd skip the raisins on this one. It doesn't need them. Additionally, mine started with a pretty high SG. I think the sugar from added raisins would really put it over the top in terms of alcohol and it would be too hot. BM4X4 does require some nutrient. Most would recommend hydrating to start (many would also recommend GoFerm), then a nutrient addition at about 1/3 sugar depletion. When I've used it, I monitored the ferment from there for signs of stress. If I notice any beginning to show up (stalling SG, odd smells), I usually add more nutrient.

Hi guys and gals

Well since i started my newly adventures into home wine making i have been tweaking my kits from the start.

My first kit I made a WE Eclipse Pinot Noir. With the help of Joeswine it is turning out to be a great wine. I added 1 lbs of blackberries into the secondary and 2 tbs of FT Rouge Soft. Its currently in bulk aging and taste is really good. Great fruit forward smell, medium body, and good mouthfell. excited to see how it turns out after bulk aging.

I did something similar to my WE selection California cab/merlot but added FT Rouge and will add french medium oak spirals to taste during bulk aging.

Now for my question. I read that BM 4x4 yeast is a great yeast to use in the super tuscan. Has anyone used this yeast that could explain the nutrients needed? I just ordered Go ferm and fermaid with the bm 4x4 yeast.

my plan is to add 1lb of raisins and tannin to secondary and medium french oak spiral to taste during bulk. If anyone has any guidence with the use of bm 4x4 please advice.... thanks

I have used this yeast quite often with good results... Hydrate with goferm and fermaid-k after it starts and at 1/3 works great for me.

Sam

Ok followed the directions. So far so good. I added the second dose of fermaid after a drop of 10 brix. But only conflict is the dosage a read two different things. Total 5 grand of fermaid. So I split it as directed. But the I read people dose 5 grams each time I split mine 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

No... I don't have the link handy but if you go to morewinemaking.com you can download a lot of goot material for free. I believe it is either 1 gram or 1.25 grams per gallon of must at each feeding....

Ok. I used total of 5 grams and divided it into two doses. First dose after 6 hours of inoculation then bit before 30% drop of SG. I didn't want to over dose.

Ok. I used total of 5 grams and divided it into two doses. First dose after 6 hours of inoculation then bit before 30% drop of SG. I didn't want to over dose.

I wouldn't worry about overdoing it. If anything, some might say you could add even more. Just keep an eye on the fermentation as it progresses in case any issues pop up.

Latest posts

Back