wrong 6 gal mark on primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalofrenchy

Reaction score
I have one of these primary fermenters that comes with most kits. 5 gal outside mark and 6 gal mark inside at the ridge. I used it twice now and each time it felt like I had a lot left in the primary after racking in the carboy. I finally decided to measure how much really is 6 gal and sure enough the ridge is about half an inch too high. It seems I have been adding a quart extra water each time... frustrating...

What did you use to measure your fermenter?

I measured my fermenter using a kitchen 1-quart measurer, and after a while, found the 1-quart was off. I then used a kitchen scale to measure 1 gallon of water - it weights 8.33 pounds. That was much more accurate.

ha. I did use a kitchen quart to compare the 6 gal mark.
I attached a pic of the last wine I transferred to the carboy. The direction clearly say to leave about a quart of free space in the carboy for the remaining agents and future degassing. I think I roughly left the space they call for. However I had two quarts left in the primary. Maybe I am wrong but if I pour half a gal in the pictured carboy I think it overflows.
Someone just told me that the 6 gal mark on the carboy is at the based of the neck so I will the carboy to that level and dump it in the fermenter to compare where that it is.

20140119_163200.jpg

Remeasure using a scale. After I remeasured, I found the mark (first rim) on the fermenter to be spot on.

Are you sure you have a 6 gallon glass carboy? Most 6 gallons will hold AT LEAST 6 gallons, probably 6.5 gallons. You could have a 5 gallon carboy that holds 5.5 gallons.

Get some 2, 3, and 4 liter jugs. Save the extra wine in those to top off the carboy.

Something to keep in mind is the inherent error of your measurements. Ie, exactly how certain are you of the volume you added to the carboy? Small error can propagate to be quite a serious issue if it is used over and over again.

You are supposed to leave the gunk in the bottom, sounds like you are making a kit, if you fill your carboy up like you are intending you wont have room for the rest of the ingredients when you go to clear etc. When we make wine from scratch we try to make sure to make about quart to a half gallon extra depending on how much pulp and stuff will end up on the bottom. You could always will your better bottle up to where you wanted it with just water and dump it into your bucket to get an exact measurement of what your carboy holds in relationship to your bucket, but really it sounds like you are doing things correctly anyway. WVMJ

That is a plastic better bottle not a glass carboy. They come in 3, 5 and 6 gal. WVMJ

Remeasure using a scale. After I remeasured, I found the mark (first rim) on the fermenter to be spot on.

Are you sure you have a 6 gallon glass carboy? Most 6 gallons will hold AT LEAST 6 gallons, probably 6.5 gallons. You could have a 5 gallon carboy that holds 5.5 gallons.

Get some 2, 3, and 4 liter jugs. Save the extra wine in those to top off the carboy.

A little more info...
So far I have used only kits (WE reserve). The two carboys I used are Better Bottle 6 gal. My primary is the Vintner's Best that seem to come in most starter kits.
I have a third carboy which is 6 gal brand The Vintage Shop. So I filled this one up to the bottom of the neck... at least no less than that. I dumped the water in the sole primary I have been using and sure enough the level is below the ridge. Not as much as when I used the measuring cups but still short. Primary claims 6 gal is on top of the inside ridge. My water stopped maybe 1/8 inch shy of the beginning of the ridge.
I just started a third kit and this time used this new line for the 6 gal mark. I can't keep having almost half a gal left when going into the carboy.

20140119_200350.jpg

20140119_200057.jpg

The 6 gal BB holds exactly 6 gal to the neck. So, the next time you have an empty BB, you can measure 6 gal with that.

Diluting the kit to exactly 6 gallons gives you what the kit was intended to produce. Although diluting to less than 6 (5.5 gallons) will give you a slightly more body (and alcohol level) to the wine, especially for cheaper kits with less juice.

I would still make it to 6 gallons, and save the excess in smaller bottles to use to top off the carboy. Although, in theory, making to 5.5 gallons and topping off with water, when needed, should be about the same. You would then slowly be diluting to the intended concentration.

I dont plan on making it to 5.5 gal... I want to make it to 6.0 gal but I am thinking that so far I have been doing 6.25 gal as I am convinced my 6 gal ridge mark in my fermenter is a quart too much.

I dont plan on making it to 5.5 gal... I want to make it to 6.0 gal but I am thinking that so far I have been doing 6.25 gal as I am convinced my 6 gal ridge mark in my fermenter is a quart too much.

But, does the wine taste good? If so, what is the problem? There is nothing wrong with have a little bit left for topping up or sampling.

Your wine will be fine. Like others have said, just keep the extra in a wine bottle that will hold it when you rack. You can buy a stopper that will fit the bottles and allow an airlock. Just keep that for topping up. When you rack off the lees after a while, the carboy (Better Bottle) will be a bit short and need topping up. Because you kept the extra you can top up with the same wine instead of purchased wine or water. The slightly larger amount is a good thing as it provides you your needed topping up wine.

Latest posts

Back