"WOW!" 's Worth Noting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so maybe someone who knows better can pipe in here...

I saw a recipe here a while back that actually said to add the banana with peel to the primary. This seemed a bit odd to me as I figured it would bring bitterness to the wine; when I asked about this I was told that it was in fact, the correct thing to do.

So now I'm confused again and, as I am going to be starting tatud4life's cherry/lime DB (as soon as I can find the frozen cherries) and was also going to add the banana for mouth feel/body...do I add the peel or not?

Thanks for the answer(s)!

I think it was for making actual banana wine. I am merely making Slippery Skeeter Pee.

Pumpkin:
I use a large size banana per gallon of wine, I let them become ripe (So with brown Spots on them). I throw them into the freezer to freeze solid as a rock. I then thaw them, Peel them and add them to a Mesh bag.

Rezod11:

I have never added them with the peel on, let me tell you, you will notice the body increase once you add them quickly. Your must will go from watery to thick. Give it a go! Cheers

cohen, looks like it was a blueberry/banana recipe. That's probably it. Slippery Skeeter Pee?? This is one I haven't seen yet...very interesting.

Shawn, thanks! I will try this...mwah hah hah!

Yeah, just trying to be witty. Slippery....banana.... Sometimes things sound funnier in my head.

I've got two batches I started yesterday. I added bananas to both---one good sized banana per gallon, sliced thin, in a mesh bag. The hype was just too encouraging! One of the batches is Dragon Blood, so I can do a comparitive taste test when it's finished. I will post the results.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to add...WOW! :)

Last edited:
Dave:

You should notice the body thicken as your fermentation goes along! As well as the noticeable mouth fill difference when your wine become drinkable.. Cheers!

Dave keep us posted! I went to grab a few well ripen bananas that were sitting on our kitchen counter, but my wife beat me to them and tossed them out...LOL

Okay, so I opened a bottle of the SP that is about ten days old now, and Wifey had a taste. She says, "Wow, I like that. Has a banana like finish". Never told her what was in it. She is a tough cookie and very straight forward. If she says there is banana, there is banana. Problem is that now she wants me to add more banana on the next batch.

I bench tested my Caramel Apple Wine with a couple of friends and it went from 'yikes' to 'WOW'!!! Yummy yummy caramel :)

(Sorry for the departure from DB debate! :ot: )

Latest posts

Back