WineXpert Winexpert Selection Vieux Chateau du Roi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in opinions on this kit. Is it like a Chateauneuf-du-Pape? Worth the money??

It was one of, if not the best mid level kits that we made. If your finances don't allow premium kits, then I recommend it, if not, stick with Eclipse, EP/WS, Showcase, etc...

Just to clarify, it's not going to compete with any commercial Chateauneuf du pape you may have tried... But for $3 per bottle, it's not bad.

If you want to do a high end kit, take a look at the Cellar Craft Showcase Chateau du Pays.

Will take a look. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the CDP. Maybe I'll start with buying a decent commercial wine and go from there.

Look at WTSO. They frequently have CDPs around $20. Just checked my local Total Wine and they have about 35 of them, ranging from $30 to $550.

Last edited:
Tasting a good CdP with the right food pairing is almost like having an "out of body" experience. Sadly (for me anyways) the CC Showcase Chateau du Pays did not come close to one of those even after 30 months. It was OK but nothing all that close to CdP really.

Thanks. The difference in pricing from the top of the line kits is negligible. So, I'll probably just stick with the Eclipse and LE kits.

You get a higher end kit and I'll get the Selection kit, then we can swap a bottle or two. I'm a cheap skate and low on funds this month...

That one or a Pinot Noir were next on my list, hopefully before Chilean juices/grapes in the Spring.

You get a higher end kit and I'll get the Selection kit, then we can swap a bottle or two. I'm a cheap skate and low on funds this month...

That one or a Pinot Noir were next on my list, hopefully before Chilean juices/grapes in the Spring.

Every day, I put the Eclipse Cab and the Eclipse Pinot in the cart and look at them a while. Then I drop the Pinot and put an LE or another higher end kit in the cart... And look at those a while.

I'll probably pull the trigger in February.

I've got a Winexpert Selection Vieux Chateau du Roi going at the moment. Last Friday, I added the stabilizers to it and gave it a quick taste. I think that it's going to be a good Chateauneuf-du-Pape when it's had time to age.

Back