WineXpert WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David219

Reaction score
I am making my second kit with grape skins. The first was the WineXpert Brunello kit, which I bottled last fall. Both kits add additional oak cubes after degassing during clearing, and state after 8 days to proceed to the clarification step. I followed the instructions to the letter at that point with the Brunello kit, and while the wine is still quite young, I think it will be outstanding with more time. With other kits I have made, I have chosen a more "patient" approach with many of the time recommendations. For reds, often the primary fermentation would be for 5-7 days (depending on the SG readings and just gut feel on how it was perking along), and maybe 15 days or so in secondary. I will often leave the wine alone after degassing for 3 weeks for clearing, then rack for clarification and leave for 50-60 days until bottling.
My question for my more experienced colleagues is how long can I leave the wine on the oak cubes without yielding liquid lumberyard? Is the 8 days critical?

8 days is nothing really for an oak cube or bean. They will take a month or more depending on your cellar temp to really fully extract. You do not have to worry about over oaking a wine if you use only the supplied oak that comes with the kit. I would transfer the oak cubes back to the wine after the final racking and let them fully extract for at least a month or two. Taste along the way so you can see how it progresses.

I second the idea of letting it sit on the oak cubes for a month or two. You won't over do it with the oak supplied. My WE Brunello is about 6 months old, and I had the oak cubes in there for about 6 weeks. I know some people will wait until most of the cubes have sunk to the bottom before racking off of them.

SouthernChemist, at what point did you leave them in for six weeks? After degassing and prior to clarifying, where I am now with this kit? If you re-place the cubes into the carbon after the clarification step, do you re-rack again prior to bottling? I recall the cubes from my Brunello kit to be pretty "yucky" with sediment after the recommended 8 days with the previous kit I made that utilized cubes...

I'm starting this kit tonight actually - did you get 1 or 2 packets of yeast with it?

I just picked up this kit, together with the Eclipse NZ Sauvignon Blanc - they are both on sale for $40.00 just this weekend so I got a great deal! I tasted the cab at the store (bottled 3 months ago) and it was absolutely awesome! Fantastic flavour....

It's actually $40 off, which I am sure is what was meant in the post.

Yup, $40 off.

I just purchased one of each. Hard to pass up an $80 savings for ultra premium kits

cheers

Yea - it is hard to pass up - I want the Old Zinfandel it is only $20.00 off until March 31.

sorry for the confusion! yes, $40 off! :slp In my excitement I forgot that wee little word... If they were on for $40 there wouldn't be any more room in my basement

Latest posts

Back