Winemaking: one word or two?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tingo

Reaction score
Why does so many writing programs try to correct spelling on "winemaking" when you type it? Why do google searches show some as "wine making" and others as "winemaking"? We are skilled professionals (he he) that deserve the respect of a title not a string of words thrown together. Is anybody with me on this? Either they need to get thier act together or im going to start saying "fire fighter" and "cardi ologist" lol

Spell checkers correct "winemaking" because it's wrong. Google searches find "winemaking" because some people spell it that way in forums. You can get around it by using wine-making.

Tony P.

According to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (11th Edition) it is one word. (So is winemaker, winepress and wineglass.) It is also shown as one word on Dictionary.com, therefore I am coming down on the "one word" side.

Does this mean we should be "WT" and not "WMT?" :)

The way I learned it in school, is that words which are often used together often become one word. They tend to start out separate, as in "wine making," then over time become hyphenated like "wine-making," and eventually become one complete word: "winemaking."

That's why occasionally in old texts you will find the word "to-day," yet nobody writes it like that any more.

I've been making wine around the clock nonstop for around a year. If you count aging, that is. If you count bottle aging, then it's been four years. I need some sleep!

Latest posts

Back