Winemakermag Competition results posted!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t mean to brag but want to share this. My 2019 wines won two bronze and one gold medals in this year’s competition.
They were the last in each medal grouping but they got in! Waiting now for the scoring sheets to arrive in a couple weeks.
Congrats!!

Interesting in that "Other Red" category there is a Gold for 100% RJS Craft Winemaking Cru Select Barolo 2007. Just the fact that someone cellared a kit wine for 14 years gets my respect (and surprise)!

I don’t mean to brag but want to share this. My 2019 wines won two bronze and one gold medals in this year’s competition.
They were the last in each medal grouping but they got in! Waiting now for the scoring sheets to arrive in a couple weeks.
Congratulations. That's a great achievement.

Yes It's nice to see your craft enjoyed by people you don't know isn't it.
nice job enjoy the moment it's your.

My next competition is in Hammonton NJ. it's like 200 people getting together and having a great dinner then the competition starts . The week before pro judges (supplied by the department of Ag.}have already graded the wines and the night of the comp. the people choice awards are also give. this event sells out in hours.

Finally found time to read all my scoring sheets and decipher the chicken scratch many of the wine judges used! I’m not faulting them, happy they took the time to do this and am sure they had lots of scoring sheets to fill out.
I entered more than the 3 I medaled in and several of them were slightly oxidized according to the judges. It’s time for me to hit the hip and get an SO2 meter so dosing my wines is more than just a wing and a prayer.
0374DE62-43BA-4E39-AE96-1E32DEFAC32E.jpegHere’s a pic of the 3 that medaled plus another silver I won in 2019 (on an empty bottle since that wine is long gone).

were do you think they should have placed or do you think he judges were correct, correct me if I'm mistaken is that a bronze and 2 silvers?
I see a 12/15 what was the last score? what was their replies? that you feel aren't correct. Remember wine tasting like anything else is totally subjective.

I’m happy as a clam I medaled at all Joe and have no argument with the judges. I won 1 gold and 2 bronze this year and 1 silver in 2019. There is very little tone difference in the gold and bronze, I had to step out in the sunlight to see the difference.
Each of those score sheets you see are 3 sheets stapled together. So they are the score sheets for the 3 that won this year. The scoring was 0-20 in the competition btw. At work now and don’t have the sheets with me.
I understand taste is totally subjective and I have no disagreement with their judgement. I respect what they have told me and plan to use that advice to improve my wine.
That is the primary reason I enter wines and beers in competitions, I get the honest opinion of people who do not know me and aren’t afraid to “hurt my feelings” so to speak. Winning medals is just icing on the cake to me.
Not these 3 shown but others I submitted they said they detected very slight oxidation, a couple recommended I more closely monitor SO2 levels. So I’ve decided to get a good SO2 meter so I can do just.

Edit: Correct the autocorrect!

Last edited:
My next competition is in Hammonton NJ. it's like 200 people getting together and having a great dinner then the competition starts . The week before pro judges (supplied by the department of Ag.}have already graded the wines and the night of the comp. the people choice awards are also give. this event sells out in hours.

Joe, Who sponsors the contest in Hammonton, NJ?

The Hammonton Roatoryclub.
Judges supplied by the department of Agriculture of NJ.
Second judging by the peoples choice that evening.
You can't send in your entre.

That's the true tell actually when you can send your products across country anywhere and metal on a consistent basis one way or the other and compare notes to see how close or how far apart the judging was. 🤔
EITHER WAY LIKE YOU SAID THEY DON'T KNOW YOU OR CARE ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS, just pure feedback.
Stay the course and keep thinking outside the box 📦.
On to the next one. Stay in touch.

Latest posts

Back