Winelees, searching for help and expertise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winelees

Junior
Reaction score
Hey,
I am a student from the university of Amsterdam part of an incubator program. Currently I am researching winelees, since they prove to have certain compounds that can be beneficial for health (fatty acids, antioxidants and certain minerals). Many wineries flush winless down the drain, which is unfortunate because there is probably a way they can be used (circular economy). There is not many research yet, however Tapuy rice wine lees are already used in the asian kitchen. My question here is:
Is there someone here who ever tried to do something with winelees? What where your outcomes?
Im really interested to talk with you about this.

Thank you!

One of the most recent studies about winelees:
Sancho-Galán, P., Amores-Arrocha, A., Jiménez-Cantizano, A., & Palacios, V. (2020). Physicochemical and Nutritional Characterization of Winemaking Lees: A New Food Ingredient. Agronomy, 10(7), 996. Physicochemical and Nutritional Characterization of Winemaking Lees: A New Food Ingredient

This is an interesting study. It would be good to know if there is significant value in what most of us are discarding. How is the lees used in the Asian kitchen? Is it a filler? a flavoring? a verified or unverified herbal remedy for something?

My lees go to my compost. So maybe back into my tomatoes and peppers?

Rice wine lees (Tapuy Lees) are mostly used in the asian kitchen. There is a study about making rice wine lees into flour Quality evaluation and utilization of tapuy (Philippine rice wine) lees flour. and https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jfq.12084 which proved to up certain nutritional values like crude protein. However of course rice wine lees have some different compounds than red or white wine lees. I also found certain recipes online with Tapuy Lees and how they are used in Singapore Creative Capital: The family handcrafting rice wine in Singapore with an heirloom recipe .
There is much to be said about the nutritional values of red and white wine lees Potential of lees from wine, beer and cider manufacturing as a source of economic nutrients: An overview - PubMed this is another interesting study.

Latest posts

Back