wine yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDave

Junior
Reaction score
If anyone has the book "winemaker's recipe handbook" and or has made blackberry wine from scratch could you please give me some ideas of what wine yeast to use. All the book says is "wine yeast" doesn't specify which one, but it does say that it makes a nice dry wine.
Thanks all

Lalvin EC-1118 will make a nice dry, easy to ferment batch. Lalvin K1V-1116 will do the same, but with a little more fruity esters. Lalvin RC-212 will extract more color from the berries and make a VERY nice red wine. Lalvin 71B-1122 will retain a very fruit forward approach to this wine and will reduce a lot of the malic acid during fermentation if the berries are not fully ripe. You might have to add acid if you use 71B, but it will retain the most berry flavor.

If you can't get Lalvin products, Red Star Montrachet will be close to 71B as will Cotes de Blancs. Premier Cuvee will be close to EC-1118, and bourgovin will be close to RC-212.

If it were me, I'd choose 71B-1122 as the yeast to use for most berry based wines. Otherwise, if I had to choose another, K1V-1116 would be my next choice. On high gravity musts, K1V can frequently go to 20%, so it is my choice for ports as well!

Hope this helps,
Dean

Latest posts

Back