wine tranfer pump? or not.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossbaby

Reaction score
20210409_145807.jpg
I've acquired this potable water recirculating pump and was wondering if the brass in it would be a bad idea to use for tranfering wine??

What you have looks like an impeller pump which is fairly common in the food industry. They are useful in applications where they are primed, ,,, ie they can not pull out of a line filled with air. Most food planet will have a stainless steel version so that it is chemically inert. The one you pictured looks like brass which will leach copper, especially in an acidic medium as wine.

I would not use it on wine!

@Rice_Guy is correct, that is a impeller transfer pump, on top of leeching, it also will aerate your wines, you would get hurting from both ends of the deal,, I'd not use it, I've 2 of them from before i became disabled, great for water, non-potable water, them @Rice_Guy spoke of are great for potable water,,, they do maker a impeller plastic pump, but you'd still have more chances of oxidized wine,
Dawg

What you have there is a potable water recirculation pump. German. Very good at what it does, just not for wine. It is designed to circulate hot water continuously to a remote bathroom, in a loop, so as to not have to wait for the water to heat up. It's a "wet rotor impeller", hard piped into a line and designed for continuous immersion. Constant prime. Brass or stainless. It also senses the input/return water temperature and adjust the pumping speed accordingly for energy savings. I timed my heating up to my garage apartment, and it would save a gallon a day. At Rhode Island's premium electric rates, it was a 105 yr. payback on a 25 yr. pump. I'll wait the extra 18 seconds.. The regulators are thinking of forcing them on all of us. Sell it and get an AIO.

Last edited:
What you have there is a potable water recirculation pump. German. Very good at what it does, just not for wine. It is designed to circulate hot water continuously to a remote bathroom, in a loop, so as to not have to wait for the water to heat up. It's a "wet rotor impeller", hard piped into a line and designed for continuous immersion. Constant prime. Brass or stainless. It also senses the input/return water temperature and adjust the pumping speed accordingly for energy savings. I timed my heating up to my garage apartment, and it would save a gallon a day. At Rhode Island's premium electric rates, it was a 105 yr. payback on a 25 yr. pump. I'll wait the extra 18 seconds.. The regulators are thinking of forcing them on all of us. Sell it and get an AIO.
Thanks for the input, yeh I install them all the time in domestic water and hydronic systems, it was free of charge due to spring cleaning in the shop and the boss not wanting to hang onto it, I for a second thought use it for a wine pump, but soon learned it's not what I want in a wine pump. 🙂

Back