Wine testing equipment wish list

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSKOH

Reaction score
I have been making wine for about 8 years. I have always been challenged by the various testing methods and equipment. I have a simple ph meter that I use and have been considering moving up to better testing equipment. I am considering the vinmetrica 300.

Does anyone use this equipment and would like to share you experiences?

I bought one this summer and love it.
Testing so2 is a breeze with it.
I used to put off testing with my a/o setup, but with this there really isn't anything much to set up before testing.

I have one and I really like it. But, I would advice you be pretty serious winemaker before you get one. .. since you can easily test pH and take with a pH meter pretty cheaply.

I have one as well and look forward to using it. I figured it was worth paying extra to have a ph, TA, and SO2 meter in one simple device. My only concern is the reagents don't last long.

The site says the reagents are good for 6 months after purchase. Does that mean 6 months after they are opened?

I bought the pro model and several things were just not right. The meter itself and testing were not problems.

It was the equipment that came with it. The burret holder was so warped I ended up tossing it and buying another one. The black plastic part that is supposed to hold the probes and allow you to drop in the indicator solutions is out of alignment, didn't even come close to matching and there was no way I could use it. (shown with the probe in place and a hole for the burret to fit through so you can hit that tiny vial, not even close to that information. I have to angle the burret in from the side to hit it.) The stirrer will only work with that tiny plastic vial and the extras I bought with it didn't match.

I'm in the process of making new parts, mainly the prob holder, that do work along with some other equipment I've since bought. I bought a heavy "O" ring and placed it in the stirrer so I could set a small glass beaker on it and it wouldn't slide off. This does work. I also bought a steel ring to keep the beaker in place (so the second thumb on my left hand didn't dump it) but can't use it until I have the new probe holder made.

Just buy the meter and get your own added equipment.

I own the 300 and have had mixed results with it. I had to send it back bc it was not working correctly. As you can imagine I only need it when I'm making wine so I couldn't test my must because it was in the shop. On top of that despite all I spent on it and having to send it back before owning it a year they did not reimburse my shipping fees. With that said it is probably the best thing out there for the small winemaker who wants to measure ph/ so2/ta. The solutions recommend replacement after 6 months but on the phone they said they last much longer. I believe they are fairly expensive to replace. I have had the unit about 1 year now and made about 6 wines. I am just getting to the point where I will need new solutions. The other thing I worry about is mine broke after only a few months and the warranty is only a year, so now that the year is up I just hope I have no problems.

Also to say something measures ta is kind of a scam. Ta is just measured by adding ta titrant (I think naoh) until the ph hits 8.2 and noting the amount added and plugging into a formula, all sc300 does is beep when it hits 8.2. So all you need to measure ph and ta is the ph meter and reagent.

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good advice. I will probably put on my Christmas list as I need to upgrade what I currently have as the ph meter stopped working yesterday. It would not calibrate. Either needs a new probe or batteries. I need to let the family know soon. Thanks again for all the comments

Back