Wine Tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
We are going to hit another local vineyard for a wine tasting tomorrow. My wife likes this place cause they sell a lot of different flavored Grapeseed oils for dipping and the different cheeses they have. Aftr that we are going to a cider mill that we always go to every year and just checked ou there web site and noticed that you can drop off your carboy or oak barrel or get a new carboy or used oak barrel from them and get it filled with untreated cider for makin hard cider. I might have to come back here before they close in December and fill up. It says for a barrel filled and sealed it is $250. It doesnt say what size though!

Have fun Wade! You should have a fun filled day!. It probably would be a full sized 59 gallon barrel filled for that price if you provided the barrel- a LOT more if they supplied a new barrel since thy cost more than that for just about any size. In bulk you should be able to get cider for under $4 a gallon, so that would be about right for the extra labor involved to fill the barrel and seal it. Too bad you are so far away. We could press you some fresh cider for a couple carboys full and have fun at the same time. I do that for relatives a few times a year. They come over and have a blast making their own, and it makes it easy for me since they do a lot of the work!

Now, go have fun buddy!

Okay so I went to 2 vineyards today instead of 1! I got 2 cases of empties from each winery. the cider mill was packed so got what I needed and got out without asking any questions. I also bottled 18 gallons this morning myself and when I got home, I racked another 18 gallons and filtered 6 gallons.

Mostly Cayugas at the 1st 1 exact for a Merlot/Cab. Franc blend which was okay but I have hd kit wines that were better. The 2nd winery is 1 of 2 that we hit every year with the fruit wines. That is the place that got me here. This place has the best Desert Wines that have ever touched this Earth. The Black Currant and the Raspberry are just to die for. I actually think I like the Raspberry wine this year better than any other wine I have ever had. Eat a Hersheys kiss and right before you swallow it take a sip of this nectar and you will be in heaven!!!!!!! He also added a Sparkling Strawberry this year. I skipped all the Red wines there and had every desert and white in the house. I also took a peak in his back room and discovered where he gets his Black Currants as he grows everything but those on his farm. He gets them from a place in Preston Ct. called Maple Lane farms. This place sells Blck Currant juice to a lot of stores around and if you ever see tis product in a store I would suggest buying it as it has the most antioxidants out of any juice and you can make wine from it as there are no preservatives in it. I have back sweetened my 2 batches ith it before but now may give them a call and ferment from their berries if they will sell me some.

Latest posts

Back