Wine taste like carbonated grape juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksjp2008

Junior
Reaction score
Opened a Malbec I bottled about a month ago. The cork blew as I was pulling it out.

Can I fix this or has it gone bad?

What should I do?

little more info would be more helpful.. When was this batch made? Did you put the wine through MLF?

ksjp2008 said:
Opened a Malbec I bottled about a month ago. The cork blew as I was pulling it out. Can I fix this or has it gone bad? What should I do?

Was it done fermenting when you bottled it?

It was started in August and bottles in October

I'm thinking the same, that it was for some reason still fermenting.

Here's what I have done

Opened all the bottles, dumped into carboy, let it sit for a day with an airlock. Lil to no movement in the airlock. So I added 1/4 of med sulfate and degassed it. I'm going to re filter as well and rdbottke

Seriously, I am sorry for saying this but seriously!!!!! Where is your hydrometer? There is no way you can tell a fermentation is complete by watching an airlock, you need to know what your readings are. If you bottle that wine now I bet you will have bottle bombs, two months is way to short of a time to be bottling.

I still feel like a noob at this, but I typically give red wines six months, racking every two. Iirc, you are supposed to keep going until the wine no longer looks hazy, and you stop getting sediment in the bottom (which indicates that the wine has cleared). At that point, you can add your stabilizer, sweeten, and bottle.

Also, if I can recommend a book for you, The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey gives a good introduction, especially if you want to keep it simple at first.

I have to agree with Julie, airlock activity is fun to watch when fermentation starts, but it is not an indication that fermentation is complete!
You need to rely on your hydrometer, 2 months is hardly enough time for the second racking.
Skipdonohue is correct, we need a little bit more info, was it a kit or a juice bucket? What steps did you take to make it?
The more info the better the chances of helping to solve this.

On a side note, the owner of the LHBS that use to work at once told me that the 4 batches of wine that he had started only 2 months prior were ready because the water in the air lock was no longer "just on one side of the airlock" (it had lost pressure for some odd reading), after I picked myself off the floor from lmfao, i pulled the airlocks out, dried the inside of the neck of the carboy with a paper towel and dried the stopper off, both had plenty of condensation on them, I put the stopper and airlock back in the carboy, and like magic *POOF*, "the water was now on only one side of the airlock".....I can't imagine how many customers he gave that same info to....and by the way, he has since started a wine club after he found out that I helped to start one.....Gheesh

ksjp2008 - you don't live in New Paltz NY, do you?

Last edited:
A wine like that needs 1 year of bulk aging. You should forget degassing because bulk aging gets the CO2 off of it. There is nothing worse to drink than young wine. I just can't understand why everyone on this website wants to bottle so early. We are making wine here, folks--not soda pop!!! (I share in Juilie's frustration!!!)

If you look at the start of wine, u will see that it was hardly aged at all.
Everyone drank it, almost evry day, lthey could not keep enough...
During the wine famine, they dug up root crops to plant grape vines, then they had a food shortage, then they dug up the grape vines to plant crops..
Most people became wine hoarders of sorts, so they would not run out.
And they figured out, that during wine shortages, if they had wine stored, they could get triple the price...
Much like today.
The monks were some of the first hoarders and the roman senate.

If anyone wants to take the time to read about all the chemistry that takes place in bulk aging, UC Davis has at least part of their course in winemaking online. There is a real nice section on bulk aging on that site and I suggest all new winemakers read what is there so they understand this process better.

I BEG all you new winemakers to stop bottling so early!!

Jesus, I asked for help. Not to be scolded. Get a grip people. Relax a bit and offer advice in a manner that's not ignorant

Forget I asked

????? We are asking questions trying to figure out what you did and which type of wine you are making in order to help you?
It's kind of like telling a computer guy that your computer isn't working, we need to know a bit more detail.
Frankly, if you cannot handle that, then you are correct in saying forget that you asked.

Scolding someone be user they didn't bulk age is ridiculous. I have made 13 batches and never bulk aged. This was the first time a cork blew and asked for help and got told to bulk age. Some help that it.

I must not be up to the standards of all the pros here because I don't bulk age.

I'm sorry if my post was offensive, and to be honest, no one here really ever scolds anyone, this is a real friendly forum.
I really enjoy helping anyone that I can.
Maybe we should all start over, I apologize, we all started out the same way, trust me. No one here can claim that they don't have anything to learn, we all learn new things all the time, when someone claims to know everything, it's time to stop taking advice from them.
In everyone's defense, some of the more experienced wine makers get a little tens when they hear that a new wine maker doesn't have a Hydrometer or doesn't bulk age, but it happens so much during the wine season that it gets to be very repetitive.
Once again, this is no excuse for scolding someone, you are correct. Stick around, these are good people here, I for one will put myself "in check" and start over to try to help you if you would like the help.
By the way, my name is Tom.

If your bottle has developed pressure, it is either undergoing fermentation ( it wasn't done and there was sugar left) or it is undergoing malolactic fermentation. It is hard to know exactly what the problem is without more details about how you made the wine and what you have added to it. The first thing would be a hydrometer reading so we can know if the wine is dry. Is this a kit or juice or fresh grapes? If you could provide more information, I'm sure there are a number of people here who can give you more insight.

And the wine is still full of CO2. Check out the UC Davis site--type "bulk aging" into the search and the UC Davis course will be the first or second site.

When you are learning a new hobby, you've just GOT to do some reading about the science of the process. As I said--this is winemaking, not soda pop making. You can't make it today and bottle and drink it tomorrow. If you aren't using a hydrometer or bulk aging anything, it's time to go back to the books and learn what the process really is and why it's done that way. Otherwise your wine will always be inferior and you'll get disgusted with putting in so much effort and getting crappy results.

We kind of expect people to have at least a beginner's understanding of the wine process when they come here. It's very hard---in this kind of medium---to take someone who knows absolutely nothing, all the way to making a good wine. It really helps if you come to these forums with some of your own knowledge so that you'll understand what we're talking about.

If you take that wine and bulk age it for 1 year, all the CO2 will be out of it and the flavor will be so much better.

Latest posts

Back