WineXpert Wine still cloudy after filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time member but haven't posted anything in a few years. Hoping to get some expert opinions on something

I started a Wine Expert Aussie Chard a month ago or so, followed the instructions through the clearing stage. Everything looked good and the wine appeared to be clear. I filter all my whites with a gravity filter and proceeded to do that. It filtered fine and relatively quick. I've had kits that slowed to a crawl during filtering because it had not fully cleared but this one went quick. So after that filtering the wine looked slightly cloudy, very slightly but cloudy none the less, not crystal clear like other ones I've filtered. It appeared to be a little effervescent during tasting and I though I could see micro bubbles when I held it to the light. Its super cold in our basement - 50 degrees - so my thought was that the cold wine was not giving up the gas that was trapped.
Any ideas what I should do? Could I warm it up and degass it?

Similar problem but with the LR Viognier kits (3) from WE and the WE Selection Pinot Grigio (2). They were all clear after secondary fermentation, but then racked them off their fine lees, and they turned cloudy. One difference this time was they used Isinglass vice the Kieslol/Chitosan combination. The WE Selection kits also required the lees to be mixed back into the must at the fermentation/Stabilizatioin stage.

Could this be a Isiinglass issue??
Ric

I bet your filter tore. I gave up on the gravity filter as it seemed like the filters kept tearing. It doesn't take much of a tear either. Every time it filtered fast (30 mins vs 45-60 mins) a filter had always torn.

It happens when you crank down on the top too tight. Too loose and and it won't seal, too tight and it will tear the filter...... :po

That tear is a distinct possibility. I will look at the filter I tossed in the trash tonight. I added a dose of Sparkaloid the other day and that didn't help either. I read that someone suggesting heating it up to 75 and degassing so I might do that as well. Normally when I filter the wine it degasses it also.

It was not a torn filter. I added Sparkaloid as mentioned in an earlier post and it looks to be clearing when I checked it last night.
What is cold stabilization?

You chill you wine down.

By reducing the temperature of the wine, you also reduce the wine's solubility. This will cause particulates to precipitate out of the wine, then you can filter the wine to remove them. Makes for a clearer wine IMHO.

OK, but it doesn't take much of a tear for the wine to pour through unfiltered. I must have filtered 20 batches with mine until I gave up and bought the whole house filter setup. Every time I had a batch filter faster than normal I had a tear of sorts (small usually) and it allowed the wine to go through basically unfiltered.

I'll definitely be more careful next time tightening it down. I think I did it pretty tight and I didn't see any tears but I did see a pair of wrinkles on the side of the filter so that might have allowed some stuff to go through.

I guess i'm basically cold stabilizing now. In my basement where the wine is its cold!!!

Thanks everyone for your help.

MN-winer:

Just to confirm...did you use the bentonite that came with the kit? Asking because it helps get rid of protein haze.

Steve

cold stabilizing removes acid from the wine. It is not a substitute for fining or degassing. Cold wine will hold the CO2 better. increase temperature will help reduce CO2 and also help additive fining to clear the wine. Increase the temp on your wine and it will help greatly.

Latest posts

Back