Wine Smells Like Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanshidyak

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there, about two and a half weeks ago I bought grape juice with no preservatives and added about 30% by volume of sugar. I added a pack of yeast and then a pack of red wine yeast a week after the regular yeast. I used a hydrometer and today it came out as desert wine levels of sugar. It smells horribly like yeast, how do I get rid of this smell?

Thanks

Ryan

You shouldn't have added the regular yeast, but give it time, the yeast will settle out and the smell should go away, when you move it to secondary leave some liquid in the bottom, to ensure your not bringing too much of the lees over.

I am stealing a direct quote from Tom. "Patience, patience, patience." I know you want your wine to be done, but it takes time. If you wait, it will be much better then if you get after it too quick. Hard to do, especially when you are starting out, but good winemaking is not fast. Good luck with it, Arne.

I agree with them. Wait about 2 weeks and rack your wine. Wait another 2 months, then rack again. By then, the yeast smell should be gone.

Back