Wine Sample maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedronguedes

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to know if there is some kind of machine that allows to re-bottle wine into small samplers in order to send them to customers for tasting. The idea would be to be able to open a large (0,750 l) bottle in a "vacuum" environment and transfer the wine into various small sampler bottles (50ml). Thank you in advanced for your time.

I'm not familiar with a system like that myself, maybe theres something on the high-end commercially but also dont know if they make glass vessels in such small volumes that could still accept a cork.

The smallest i have seen, is 187ml & those are screw-top bottles although there *may* be corkable versions.

If you were to open the bottle & siphon into small bottles, i dont think the vacuum environment would be necessary provided everything was sanitary.. You just dont want to *pour it*.

Thanks Deezil for you reply. My issue would be that once the bottle is open, the wine could lose some of its properties and since I intend to send samples by mail I am afraid in might not reach the destination in optimal conditions. In relation to the vessels, I found a very interesting formal (screw-top- example attached) from http://www.wineside.fr that would be very interesting and effective marketing-wise. Does anyone know if a company produces this for third party clients/wineries?

Screen Shot 2012-06-26 at 11.34.43 AM.png

I had optimal conditions in mind as well, when i mentioned the lack of knowledge about smaller, corkable vessels - the corks will ensure the wine within is protected from the elements..

As for the actual transfer from 750ml to smaller-vessel, its all in the process used - you dont want to pour, but instead gently siphon to reduce the chances of oxidation. Proper sanitation & sulfite levels will almost insure that most of the "bad bugs" are kept at bay. You wont lose much of the profile during transfer, when done right - and the process only lasts a few minutes anyways.

The only other factor worth really mentioning, once you find the proper vessels for your venture, is "bottle shock" - the time that the wine needs to recover from being enclosed in a pressurized environment, usually about a month after corking... Within that months time, if you were to open it / ship it to a client and they opened it, it wouldnt reflect the true personality of the varietal until enough time passed that it calmed back down. It might instead have some undesirable traits.. So you'd just want to allow enough time in your own processing, before shipping, to allow for that to pass.

Hope this helps, good luck finding the right bottles/vessels

As an afterthought - also just make sure that your repackaging/distribution business model is legal where you are, to avoid any legal fiasco - have a feeling you're overseas and i have no clue as to who allows what, in each country :)

Last edited:
Thanks Deezil for you reply. My issue would be that once the bottle is open, the wine could lose some of its properties and since I intend to send samples by mail I am afraid in might not reach the destination in optimal conditions. In relation to the vessels, I found a very interesting formal (screw-top- example attached) from http://www.wineside.fr that would be very interesting and effective marketing-wise. Does anyone know if a company produces this for third party clients/wineries?

Opening the 750ml bottle and allowing in a little air to the samples will likely make them taste/show even better, provided the samples are consumed within a few weeks and not months.

Are you selling the sample vessels from the supplied photo?

Latest posts

Back