wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got this rack a few days ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KM7LGU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and while it's not $25, it's not too expensive!

Ugh, yeah, there are always people who ask for bottles as if it's... you know, something we don't drink ourselves. Like we make it just to decorate our homes with it or something. It's annoying, but I think it's just easy for people to do because they're not thinking about it from our point of view. If everyone asks, and we oblige them all, then the wine runs out. If you oblige some and not others, then you're playing favorites. Generally, if it's a close friend, I just say, "Yeah, I'll open a bottle the next time you're over," because then at least it's in exchange for their company. Otherwise, I have a "I only give to family" policy. Or I'll give it to someone as a true gift. But never as just some willy-nilly thing.

Saying you're aging it is a good idea. The one I like is, "Well, I'm trying to build up my cellar, and I can't if I keep giving bottles away."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tess, My friend that got me started told me he has people that are willing to pay for the kit, he does the work, and then they split the finished bottles. I've asked a few friends that I've given a bottle too and they said they'd do that.

After I finish my inventoried kits, I'm going that direction.

Its not just the kit. They would have to fork over for the bottles!! they are not cheap!

free wine...hahahahaah
i have about 2000 in carboys
about 1000 in other stuff
i have purchased about 500 lbs of sugar, then yeast,then chemicals
corks,shrinkwraps,labels,buckets,not to mention the work involved.
I as you Tess...tell them its aging....
I also encourage them to start making it themselves...

For a cheap wine rack you can stack PVC pipe cut to length, drill holes and ziptie it... Solves the rolling on closet shelves. Plus you can spray paint it. I've seen some that look really nice (like wrought iron). As for what stays upstairs, Depends on how much you drink, and how often you go to the basement. ;)

Just put together the same rack midnightsolace posted. It's pretty awesome so far, and easy to put together, not to mention under 60 bucks for 120 bottles of storage.

When my work friends from work ask for bottles, I make them bring me several empties in exchange for 1 full bottle.

When my work friends from work ask for bottles, I make them bring me several empties in exchange for 1 full bottle.

I do that too. 4 clean empties for a full one. Most have given me 1.5L bottles though. I think they expect those back. They'll be getting 750's tho. I keep the 1.5s for ME hahah

Its not just the kit. They would have to fork over for the bottles!! they are not cheap!

I get my bottles free from several friends. I'm working on getting them from Total Wine in the future. They have wine tastings on the weekends and the host said I could get them at the end of the tasting.

However, if bottles weren't available to you, I'd ask the partner to share that expense also.

Latest posts

Back