wine racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I scored a 119 bottle wooden wine rack for 25 bucks at a yard sell this weekend for the wine room in my basement. It would look so cool in my butlers pantry or dinning room but logic tells me the best place for that much wine is in my dark cool basement.
I also have a 40 bottle wine jail I'm thinking or bring up to my dinning room for the quicker drinkers Like DB or skeeter pee.
Do any of you display your wines in a wrack say upstairs in your dinning room, and how many bottles do you feel comfortable with doing that.
nothing prettier then a wine rack ya know lol

Unfortunately basements are impossible in S. Florida, so all the wine we make is stored in a rack in a spare bedroom. Right now we can hold about 200 bottles... but we've gone a bit crazy with about 12 batches recently, so I'm going to have to build a bigger one.

I have various racks spread through 3 rooms that hold 450 bottles and smaller wine holders that hold 3-6 bottles spread throughout the house. I also have a wine fridge that holds 36 bottles. Not everything is filled....yet. Like the people in Florida we don't have access to a basement or underground storage area. Wish I did though.

Noontime, Do you have a way of keeping the extra bedroom cooler than the house? I have a 10X12 room for wine making & store age, that I just ordered a 7,000 btu LG portable AC unit for. Also put 1" of foam over the window. Hoping to maintain 68* with out breaking the bank! Roy

I am very thankful for my basement. I just need more space. I have a small side of the room to work in because its also where my husband store a lot of his crap. The house is not totally finished and at this rate Im not sure it will ever be!! It stays about 68 down there. Gets warmer with each floor you climb.

best place to buy online

That sounds like a steal Tess. For about a year I had been storing wine in a linen closet with the bottles lying on top of one another. A few near-miss accidents had occurred with wine bottles rolling loose on the shelf. Then I decided it was time for me to upgrade. I searched for cheap racks everywhere online and this forum. I found this site if anyones interested.

http://www.wineracksinternational.com

Last edited:
good score Tess. I got my main ones from Ikea.They hold 108 each, bought 3. If I had known they were going to stop selling them I would have bought more.Now my excess bottles are stored in make shift racks and boxes.As for displaying bottles, I keep a dozen upstairs in 2 (6 per) display racks.

I have one of the Seville Classic racks from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E8ZYPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20), and a 50 bottle wine cooler. The cooler is nothing fancy, but it's good enough to keep wines at 58-60. At some point, I'll need another Seville rack. I keep it all in the basement. I just like saying "I'm going to the cellar to choose a wine". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Noontime, Do you have a way of keeping the extra bedroom cooler than the house? I have a 10X12 room for wine making & store age, that I just ordered a 7,000 btu LG portable AC unit for. Also put 1" of foam over the window. Hoping to maintain 68* with out breaking the bank! Roy
We haven't put that kind of effort into it because we know this is not the house we'll live in forever...we plan on moving sometime in the future. Kudos to you though! :b

I have been using Ikea racks to hold about 500 bottles of Bordeaux I still have to drink before I die. These cheap racks are quite solid. Luckily my cellar stays between 52-62 degrees depending on season. Now I have to find space for my own wine. I am so excited to be making my first kit (Eclipse Cab Sav). The wine started to bulk age several days ago. Its tasting pretty good already. Thanks for everyone's help.

I have one of the Seville Classic racks from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E8ZYPI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20), and a 50 bottle wine cooler. The cooler is nothing fancy, but it's good enough to keep wines at 58-60. At some point, I'll need another Seville rack. I keep it all in the basement. I just like saying "I'm going to the cellar to choose a wine". :)

Overall very good reviews at Amazon for this rack. Surprised to find that even with $31 shipping (CA to CT) it would be ~$10.00 cheaper buying from Seville than Amazon with their free shipping. Would love to see it for sale at COSTCO.

Last edited by a moderator:
We haven't put that kind of effort into it because we know this is not the house we'll live in forever...we plan on moving sometime in the future. Kudos to you though! :b

That's kind of where I'm at too. We are trying to save up some capital to build our own house instead of buying someone else's (I'm over buying someone else's problems... this current house is killing me). When we do that, part of the design WILL be a wine cellar. Best part about it? My lady is just as much in love with wine as I am, so she's just as excited to have a wine cellar! :D

Unfortunately basements are impossible in S. Florida, so all the wine we make is stored in a rack in a spare bedroom. Right now we can hold about 200 bottles... but we've gone a bit crazy with about 12 batches recently, so I'm going to have to build a bigger one.

OR! Drink Quicker

Overall very good reviews at Amazon for this rack. Surprised to find that even with $31 shipping (CA to CT) it would be ~$10.00 cheaper buying from Seville than Amazon with their free shipping. Would love to see it for sale at COSTCO.

Hey BK, I just bought one of these racks... great reviews, can`t wait...just bottled my first 120 bottles...:b

Im still filling mine. My first few batches were mostly give aways.
Everyone I worked with wanted a bottle.
Yep, give one to one person they all want one. Its free to them. I finally got aggravated and said look its free to you its not free for me!!
They wanted to throw a wine tasting party and of course I was to supply all the wine.
Now I just tell everyone. I have none drinkable. Its ALL aging.
Im over the wine mooch's!! I have a rack and a wine jail to fill. :re

Im still filling mine. My first few batches were mostly give aways.
Everyone I worked with wanted a bottle.
Yep, give one to one person they all want one. Its free to them. I finally got aggravated and said look its free to you its not free for me!!
They wanted to throw a wine tasting party and of course I was to supply all the wine.
Now I just tell everyone. I have none drinkable. Its ALL aging.
Im over the wine mooch's!! I have a rack and a wine jail to fill. :re

Hi Tess, My friend that got me started told me he has people that are willing to pay for the kit, he does the work, and then they split the finished bottles. I've asked a few friends that I've given a bottle too and they said they'd do that.

After I finish my inventoried kits, I'm going that direction.

Latest posts

Back