RJ Spagnols Wine over 5 years old!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
For thoseofyou don't know my history, I started in this hobby withRJ Spagnols' products and most of them have been consumed by now; however, I was rumaging around in the wine cellar tonight and found a Vino del Vida Chardonnay/Semillon blend that I started on July 21, 2002. Having been told to not expect a kit wine to last more than five years, especially a 7 liter kit, I decided tonight was the appropriate time to find out the truth.
I chilled the wine for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, then took the cork screw to it. Janna, my wife, took a sniff from the bottle and asked "Are you sure it won't kill us?" I assured her that it might taste terrible, but would not kill us.
smiley36.gif

I poured the glasses, swirlled it around and took a sniff. Very nice flowery aroma and NO off smells. I took a drink and smiled. It had survived and very nicely, indeed. The taste was a crisp melon with a buttery feel on the tongue. It is still a tad thin, but overall I was extremely surprised and pleased. It would have lasted longer, had I decided to leave it alone.

If you are wondering how long a kit wine will last, I can say over 5 years and probably longer if you use the higher end kits, add the extra sulfites and store the wine in the proper conditions.

This hobby is constantly filled with surprises.
smiley1.gif

I must say that I always thought it would. If wine made way back when has lasted without all the sulfites added and corks that can not be as good quality as we have available to us now has made it many more years then 5 then a good high end kit in my opinion can last 10 plus in my opinion.

George -

Do you have any notes on how that kit was made? I am wondering if it was bulk or just bottle aged and if extra sulfite was added, etc.

Thanks - Jim

The notes were on my hard drive when it crashed in 2003. The notes for my first 50 batches are gone forever.
smiley11.gif
That is one of the big reasons for the online database. The information is backed up daily.

From what I remember, all kits were made EXACTLY per the instructions and bottled in 28-45 days. I did not know about the extra K-meta at the time, so it is doubly surprising that the wine lastest so well.

Yes if its corked with good quality and the temps dont go up and down and no sunlight it will keep. I have some fruit wine thats gettin up to 3.5 years I acutally bring it out for special ocations its so soomth and nice. I ferment my fruit wines to dry. Let them age to smooth ness dont need sugar.

Latest posts

Back