WineXpert Wine Not Clearing Very Cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastCoast

Junior
Reaction score
I started a WE Selection International Gewurztraminer on 1/24/07.
Starting was SG of 1.085 @ 70 deg.
Racked on day 7, 1/31/07 SG was 1.006. Temp was alittle low @ 67 deg.
On day 15, 2/8 SG was .988 added Kmeta and sorbate. Stirred vigorusly as instructions to drive off CO2. Added F pack SG was now at .995
On day 24 wine still not clear. Racked off lees and added 1/4 teaspoon Kmeta.
Today 2/26 wine is still very cloudy.
Do I have a problem?
Shoud I just be patient?
Did I do something wrong?
Instructions say wine should be quite clear by now.

EC

Sounds like you could have the same issue as JBHarris and still have dissolved CO2 in your wine preventing the fining agent from doing it's job.

Make sure the wine is at least 70 degrees and try degassing again....do you have a drill mounted stirrer?

I just read JB's post and seems like the same thing.

No drill mounted stirrer but I use a long wooden dowell that works good. I don't seem to have any action out of my air lock at all and no bubbles on the side of the carboy.....if I still had CO2 wouldn't I have signs ???

EC

No..... since the CO2 is dissolved into the liquid and the stirring is needed to release it.

Thanks Masta,
I did stir like crazy for the first degassing though but maybe my temp was to low and I didn't get all the gas out.

Is it okay to stir up the sediment to degas again now?

I concur, its harder to get the gas out at these colder temps lately and that is hindering everyones clearing including my last batch as I posted after JB'S last post. I had a recerse clearing where everything settled at the top. Had to gently shake it down every day to get it all down but it did clear nicely.

Back