Wine not clearing - bentonite settled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarney

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making my first wine kit (coastal white from Wine Expert). Everything seemed fine, but it's now been more than 2 weeks and the wine shows little evidence of clearing. There is a thin layer of what looks like Bentonite at the bottom, but the wine is still very cloudy. It's been stored at a temperature of around 70-75 degrees, and I thought I degassed it enough (with the use of a drill mounted tool). Should I just let it sit? Or should I add something else? Or should I rack it and give it more time? Any help is much appreciated.

I've done 2 WE kits and I'm thinking be a little more patient for a while. My white looked cloudy for a few weeks then started clearing a little at the very top, worked it's way down then seemed to be completely clear one morning. It'll work in time.
Mike

WE kits can sometimes be a pita to clear. Ive had a few that just didnt with thete fining agrnt even after calling them and them sending me another pack. If and when I do a WE kit now I throw out their stuff and use Superkleer.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll wait it out a while longer and hope for the best. If it still doesn't clear, I'll try superkleer.

Steve - I had followed through to the end of step 3, and had sg of 0.993 before I added the stabilizer and fining agent.

Steve - I had followed through to the end of step 3, and had sg of 0.993 before I added the stabilizer and fining agent.
Good. So how long ago did you add the clearing agent? Probably need to give it two weeks anyway.

BTW...most beginners don't degas enough, even with the drill mounted stirrer.

Steve

It will be three weeks since I added the clearing agent on Saturday. It's quite possible that I didn't degas enough, but should I try degassing again? Or will this cause more problems than it's worth?

I use bentonite in all my wines to clear. I also don't add until thourohly (sp) degassed.

Latest posts

Back