Wine Making Log

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
My next task is to develop a wine log that our members and customers can use when making their wines. I know there are many logs out there but I want to combine the best parts of them into one that is easy to use and also helpful.

My plan is to make two versions: one that can be printed out and used as a paper copy. The other would be a electronic copy that would incorporate some of the charts and conversions that I have posted already.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or wishes for this log.

We would really like your feedback on this topic. We want to make something everyone can use, whether it is a kit or a fresh wine. We also want to make it easy to use.

I have developed my own log, but I don't like it! I have started a notebook to contain all the recipes (all three of them) I have tried and how I went about making them, how long before I racked, SG, so on and so forth. I would love to see one that you pros have made! As a person who loves recipes and good things to eat and drink, I like to duplicate my successes and analyze my disasters so that I can improve my skills. Looking forward to seeing your log!!
smiley32.gif

I have my own log. I will post it as soon as I find it. Feel free to change whatever you'd like.

It's very simple, without all the fancy testing values, simply because I don't use them.

Let me dig around in my computer to find it.

You can print on the front and back. On the front, the normal log. On the back, in-depth tasting notes.

Be right back... :)

Maritna

A good log should have spaces for starting and ending SG, K-meta amount, sorbate amount, and a place for other chemicals, plus plenty of room to write down methods info and lots of room for tasting and other notes.

My log is about as simple as it gets. It is a Word table with four columns: date, Specific Gravity, temperature and comments/observations. When I start the wine, I enter the date, starting gravity, temperature when I pitch the yeast and my recipe in the comments column. Comments include the results of anything I test such as pH and TA, as well as any adjustments I make.

Every time I do something with the wine, I record it on my log. When I take SG readings during primary, I record observations on the progress (e.g. low foaming yeast with this fruit). When I rack the wine, I record comments on any additions made and observations on taste, color and clarity. Any thoughts I have on changes the next time I make this style wine (more fruit, different yeast, different oaking regime, different temperature, etc.), I record in the comments column.

When I bottle, I record any adjustments, final SG, alcohol content and tasting comments. I then print out the log and put it in a three ring binder. I keep a separate cellar log for my post bottling tasting and observations (Two columns: date and observations). The first entry in the cellar log is the date bottled. When the last bottle is gone, I will file my cellar log with my wine log for a beginning to end history.

I sent my log to Scott. We will see what he does with it.

I'm sure there'll be lots of revising!

It will be cool to have yet another master copy of a wine log in case I decide to stop using the oneI currently use.

Scott, when you're working on the wine log, please remember the people (women) who don't write in microscopically small handwriting! I'm not saying I write like a 4-year old who needs a whole 8.5x11" piece of paper to write Mom, but the space on my wine-log suited me fine.

smiley36.gif

Just a request/opinion.
smiley1.gif

I will remember that about the spacing, I deal with the same issues at work with certain documents and it can be frustrating.

Thanks

I have a log I got from another website that I use that maybe of some help. Do you have an e-mail I could send it to???

[email protected]Edited by: masta

I use a log I got online, I find that the comment section has me writing sideways down the end, so more comment room would be usefull.

I understand it might be hard to fit all on one page, though. I wonder if there could be an "online" one (HTML).... Hmmmm...

Maybe I'll try something this afternoon!

M.

I'm sorry if I'm getting anoying, but I didn't start this contest, but I'm going to finish it!!!

I didn't get around to the online wine-log thing yesterday, but I will do it tomorrow, I hope. I think it might be fun to see other's wine-logs. Kind of like a wine-blog.

I think I might can scan the winelog I use, then post it here. I will try to remember to do it. I would likeit better if I had more notes room.

Glenvall, would you like a copy of mine? I can email it to you if you'd like. It's no big whup (no fancy stuff), but it's pretty straight-forward.

Latest posts

Back