Wine log?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Right now I am using a notebook to keep track but I can see how that is going to be messy and not searchable after too many batches.
I also have to check it every couple days to see what's next on the calendar. So having reminders or alerts would be great.

What does everyone use?
Notebooks
Excel
Access or similar database
Brewtrax
Amphora

I like the idea of software like brewtrax and the price is good. Features look nice. What does amphora do that brewtrax can't? At 2x the price.
Ideally I would like it web based so I could access from my phone, iPad, laptop, desktop, etc (yes I have a lot of pcs to use, it's my job). I don't think any of them can share easily.
Being new I am not sure what to look for besides the basics. The excel one posted here looks good. Add some calculations like SG and temp conversions.

Last edited:
I started with a notebook, but found it to be a hassle for me. I found all the same problems with the notebook you have listed.

I downloaded Brewtrax a few weeks ago and found it to be a great program. I noted a couple of places that there could be very minor additions to the software, and sent a PM via WMT with some feedback, I was told the next afternoon that the publisher had reviewed my suggestions and would be making the changes along with some other suggestions in a upcoming release. So the Customer Service is pretty good as well. Its not like you are trying to get Microsoft to make a minor change.

There is a coupon code for Brewtrax in the vendor section as well

Also there is a helpful youtube video showing what Brewtrax will do

AD

Last edited:
I started with a notebook, but found it to be a hassle for me. I found all the same problems with the notebook you have listed.

I downloaded Brewtrax a few weeks ago and found it to be a great program. I noted a couple of places that there could be very minor additions to the software, and sent a PM via WMT with some feedback, I was told the next afternoon that the publisher had reviewed my suggestions and would be making the changes along with some other suggestions in a upcoming release. So the Customer Service is pretty good as well. Its not like you are trying to get Microsoft to make a minor change.

There is a coupon code for Brewtrax in the vendor section as well

Also there is a helpful youtube video showing what Brewtrax will do

AD

BrewTrax looks pretty nice! I'm more inclined to use software over paper. It's getting a pain to keep track and i only have 6 batches going right now.
If I could access it from any PC in my house that would be the best for me. Install it on my server or desktop and access it from anything making it quicker and easier to enter info. I'll ask them.

The attached I gave was an Excel file and I had to change it to a pdf file in order to attach. All it was is an extension change. If I can do this, trust me, you should be able to change it back with a keystroke to an excel file.

I have no idea if it would work on a server. I would say fire off a PM to AquaCom and ask him. I think he is in England, so don't expect a instant response, but he got back to me the next day.

My suggestion was to add some common wine specific items such as yeast nutrient, Yeast Energizer, Tannin, etc in place of "additional items" under the Processes tab. There is a place where you can type in the items. I was told to look for it in a upcoming update. The CS couldn't be better.

I tried the paper copies, they get wet, if they fit on one page the lines are too small, not easily searchable, etc. With Brewtrax, you get ready made charts, graphs, automatic calculations, and updated databases of supplier info etc.

Well worth Slightly less than $30

I must be the weird-man-out... I love using my paper notebook. I can doodle in the margins, highlight, circle, glue wine labels onto pages and then write my drivel around 'em... lol

Now, cellaring software is a different thing - that's all in OpenCellar!

I will try to attach the form I use for my wine log. I believe I got it off this site but don't remember for sure.
Yep got from here. I sent it. This is what I use. Keep all actice in a active binder then when bottler transfer to the finished ? Bottled binder

Brewtrax is awesome and he doesnt get back to you till the next day because he is sleeping when we are awake but he gets back to you very quick and makes any issues disappear! It does everything and then more as it keeps track of your cellar inventory and ages on everything.

Well you are all wrong..... He got back to me about an hour after I pm'd him. :D
I think I might give it a try. I can put it on my windows tablet.

Well I guess I'm the odd one. I've tried several logging routines. First blank paper. Then preprinted sheets. Then on the computer. Now I use a preprinted sheet for the first time then afterwards and all future batches I use a paint swatch from the paint stores. I use white ones to write everything on, date, ingredients etc. I include a red tag (meaning clearing) or a blue tag (aging) behind it. When complete they go in a pile.

I have so many going and at different times I can't keep track. There are busier times and slow times. Seems to work well now. My wine bible keeps enlarging and I need a way to keep it managable.

I use a binder with plastic folders in it for each batch. I keep the instructions sheet, a printed log sheet (linked a few posts back) and all the kit ingredient packages until time to use them. It's kind of a huge binder. On the carboys I hang one of those wine bottle tags that I write the date of the next step and other small reminders.

images.jpg

OH yeah, in the past, I've also used a dry-erase marker to write directly on the carboys (after wiping away any drips, of course).

I use paper charts through fermentation and record everything into amphora. I use amphora on a daily basis and it is very useful. From keeping track of inventory and setting up tasks. I am working with many different wines in one day and it helps stay organized. We also have a seperate amphora server to for our spirits that we make. Amphora's customer service is helpful to. We have emailed them a few different times with a suggestion that would make my life a little easier and what do you know, a few weeks later they come out with an update that fixed the issue.

I have never the brew software so I cant compare the two.

I use the Tags with strings on them from Staples but I have Brewtrax and have been tryin o slowly incorporate all of my stuff in there but I just can never find the time to do that or do any wine work much.

I use the Tags with strings on them from Staples but I have Brewtrax and have been tryin o slowly incorporate all of my stuff in there but I just can never find the time to do that or do any wine work much.

That was my problem. So much going on and trying to log everything was just not working. I have my tags around each carboy with a string and it's an easy visual to see what each wine is at, at that time.

I do believe it is important to keep good records but finding and taking the time is always the problem...at least for me. Maybe if I made less skeeter pee I would.

You are right about mot taking long to record it into Brewtrax, now if I can just get myself to do some wine work Id have something to log in!

Latest posts

Back