Wine labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Port Jerry

Junior
Reaction score
I have seen suggestions for removing labels but searching didn't find any. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had great success with the oven method: bake bottles at 350F for 5min to loosen the adhesive, use a metal scraper (or knife, carefully) to start peeling from a corner of the label, then fully peel the label off by grabbing by hand and pulling. About 90% of bottles I tried this on removed the label pretty cleanly, and the remaining 10% went back in for a second 5min bake which got most of those to peel. Here's a video demonstrating:

I then cleaned the outside of the bottles with Go-Gone to remove any small bits of residue, then washed with dish soap + water to remove any Go-Gone residue. After that, cleaned the inside of the bottles with PBW to remove any interior residue, then sanitized with Star-San.

This thread Used wine bottles has a lot of good info.

I usually soak in hot water, peel off as much as I can, then use Magic Eraser (or the generic version) to rub the rest of the label off.

I tried using an overnight PBW soak but must not have mixed it strong enough because that didn't seem to work. I might try it again, though.

This hot-water method worked great for me. Wear heat-resistant gloves when handling hot glass. I used silicone oven mitts.
  1. Boil enough water to almost fill the bottle
  2. While waiting for the water to boil, fill the bottle with hot tap water.
  3. When your water is boiling, empty the bottle of tap water, and then fill the bottle with boiling water.
  4. Wait 5 minutes for the label glue to soften, and then slowly peel the label.
I had the faintest hint of glue residue remaining. Wiping with Goo Gone followed by a wash with soapy water did the trick.

Just remember anything you use on the outside of the bottle can end up inside the bottle so if you use petroleum based solvents you'd better make real sure those bottles are thoroughly cleaned, rinsed and sanitized. I value my health so I'm pretty careful about those things. Too many bottles out there to worry with the ones that take goof-off, or other such solvents.
Regardless of what you use though, I'd start early. Basically when I start a batch, I try to make sure I have the bottles for it before the fermentation is over. Those bottles get de-labled, washed, rinsed, and sanitized. Then 9-12 months later I recheck the bottles and always sanitize one more time before filling them.

Personally, my main labels are generic and waterproof so just get washed and sanitised as normal, and stay on. I've colour-coded my shrink capsules so I know exactly what wine type and batch I'm drinking. For example, white is sauvignon banc and then I'll have different types of white ones to denote my different batches. I've currently got 10 different variations, and it's relatively easy to remember. Admittedly I only make white wines, so most batches are gone within 2 years at most.

If I do decide to give any as a gift, then I've got some small rectangle easy peel labels which work really well, and come straight off with no effort. But in reality I'm rarely removing any labels these days.

I don't like having to remove labels so I don't use paper labels. Instead, I write on the bottle using an enamel paint marker. When the bottle is empty, it is easy to remove with a stainless scouring pad.Labels.jpgLabels.jpgLabels.jpg

Whatever works for you as far as labels. All I know is that when I take my wine to a party, the most common question I get is... Where did you get this? You make this yourself !?! Do you sell it? And my labels are a simple design. I like to start with a clean bottle with nothing that will negatively influence a person. For personal use, it doesn't matter, but when I take it outside the house, or give it away..... I like to make a good impression. New labels over a clean bottle clearly does that for me. Last week at my brother-in-laws HS reunion, I was asked all the above and more and many recognized the house in the picture. One person wanted some of the wine for her remodeled dining room/wine rack, conversation starter. I'll admit it - it does stroke the ego.
1633977057930.png

Last edited:
Whatever works for you as far as labels. All I know is that when I take my wine to a party, the most common question I get is... Where did you get this? You make this yourself !?! Do you sell it? And my labels are a simple design. I like to start with a clean bottle with nothing that will negatively influence a person. For personal use, it doesn't matter, but when I take it outside the house, or give it away..... I like to make a good impression. New labels over a clean bottle clearly does that for me. Last week at my brother-in-laws HS reunion, I was asked all the above and more and many recognized the house in the picture. One person wanted some of the wine for her remodeled dining room/wine rack, conversation starter. I'll admit it - it does stroke the ego.
View attachment 79759
Nice label! I like making my own labels. It can get spendy but, friends really like the labels. If it is a gift I write on label with a silver marker.

I had great success with the oven method: bake bottles at 350F for 5min to loosen the adhesive, use a metal scraper (or knife, carefully) to start peeling from a corner of the label, then fully peel the label off by grabbing by hand and pulling. About 90% of bottles I tried this on removed the label pretty cleanly, and the remaining 10% went back in for a second 5min bake which got most of those to peel. Here's a video demonstrating:

I then cleaned the outside of the bottles with Go-Gone to remove any small bits of residue, then washed with dish soap + water to remove any Go-Gone residue. After that, cleaned the inside of the bottles with PBW to remove any interior residue, then sanitized with Star-San.

I will try your method. What is PBW stand for?

As a winemaker and a label manufacturer I have some input. First I agree with others who mentioned things getting inside the bottle. For me I always keep everything on the outside of the bottle and don't recommend soaking, etc because I don't want to worry about having to thoroughly clean the inside of the bottle of all that detritus. Most commercial wineries are using acrylic adhesive these days, which are water soluble and loosen with heat. Use heat gun or oven to warm them, and for those that don't just peel off, get it wet and use a razor scraper to scrape off. Any residue from either method can then be scrubbed off with wet steel wool (or soapy Brillo pad). For me if a label requires solvents to get off, it goes in the garbage.

Latest posts

Back