Wine Kits With Fruit Flavoring Added

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
My friends, family & I really enjoy the OB kits (have made Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio and Cran-Apple Chardonnay) and I have a IM Kiwi Pear Sauv Blanc kit "on deck". My question is I would like to tinker with the "body" and ABV. I've read about adding cane sugaror corn sugar to increase the ABV andabout adding raisins (white wine, too?)or making the kit as 5 gallons rather than 6 to improve the "body". Any thoughts on the best process?

Or, am I better off getting a regular wine kit (which will already have higher ABV and more "body") and add some sort of fruit flavoring. If so, what should I use, how much and what is the process? I'm kinda obsessing about this so any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome Sue. If you add about 3-4 pounds of sugar in the primary, it will boost the alcohol a bit but not overwhelm the fruitiness of those kits. I don't recommend cutting back to 5 gallons since you will then throw the additives out of balance. Add the sugar as a simple syrup (heat water and sugar together about 2 cups water and the sugar in a pan). Keep everything else the same and it turns out great. I don't think you even need the raisins with all the fruit flavor typically in these kits. Good luck with it.

If you want to add a little more body you can add some mashed up very ripe bananas or golden raisins.

Thanks for your replies!

appleman: just regular granulated sugar?

wade: add to primary? in muslin or straining bag or nothing?
Thanks again! Appreciate your help!

Yes regular sugar works fine. The bananas Wade mentions will add a bit of body without affecting the flavor much. Put it in a straining bag in the primary.

Will banana flavor be noticeable?
What about adding fruit flavor to "regular" wine kit? Thoughts? Crazy?
Thanks again!

Thanks polishWineP!
I actually have the raspberry flavoring. Strawberry-kiwi looks interesting. Have you used this product before? Have you use the grape concentrate?
Lastly, I was reading on another site that the Vintner's Reserve kits have a flavor pack. Is that correct? Thanks again!

Only the 1's that are intended to be sweetened after fermentation like a Gewurztraminer. Cabernet's and the such would not come with a f-pack as they are not meant to be sweetened. Im not to fond of these flavorings too much as they leave an artificial taste but some of them are decent, I have not tried the ones this site carries yet so cant speak of these but have tried 2 from another place and they were nasty. I did get a few at an expensive place called Chefs Emporium and those were very good.The grape concentrates are good for adding body and usually added in the beginning to do so.

We use the WinExpert Grape Concentrates in almost all our fruit wines, in the primary....It adds body, color and boosts the sweetness. The fruit juices in those wines are the primary ingredient.

We have also been using some cans of wine grape juices and add a few quarts of steam extracted fruit juice to the wines....those are very nice....more grape than fruit flavors.

Have thought of using some inexpensive wine kits and adding some fruit juices for just a hint of fruitiness...Probably replace some of the water with the fruit juice....like raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, etc....This would of course void the warranty.

We have used the artificial apple and cherry flavorings to wine and found it to leave that artificial taste...Maybe just our taste buds....If you do use it, go very sparingly.....

Thanks to all for your valued input!

How many bananas or how many cups of raisins should be used?

How much of the grape concentrate do you use?

I was wondering about any residual effects from artificial flavorings...thanks for the heads up!

Thinking about making a gallon of fruit wine (fresh or juice concentrate) and then maybe blending the two when they're both done. Or, maybe bottled fruit juice (with sorbates) at bottling and let age... If I give it a try, I'll be sure to share the results!! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back