Wine Kit: Forgot Yeast Nutrients!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code

Junior
Reaction score
Soooo, I've just gone to check on my wine ready for the next stage. The fermentation has taken 3 weeks rather than the 7 days it said it would ... and i've just found out why. It seems i didnt notice the instructions said to add yeast nutrients.

Reading around I've come to the conclusion that this shouldnt be problem as long as ive kept the conditions and hygiene up to standard, which i believe i have.

So rather than add them now as the yeast have finished im going to leave it out - just wondering if anyone else has ever done the same and what the results were!?

Silly me! :n

your lucky you didnt get the rotten egg smell, are did you.
yeast nutrient will not have much of an effect on the taste of your wine.
it is what it says....nutrient for your yeast...

You would be shocked to learn the number of people who never use nutrient. It is one item that definitely has a point of no return when it comes down to adding it. As you move forward, and perhaps away from kits, you will learn even more so that nutrient plays a vital role but there is a method to the madness. Good time to acknowledge that recipes typically reference a generic yeast nutrient commonly sold by that same name, go figure, so you need to pay attention to doses if you are using a brand other than that indicated in recipe. Other common yeast nutrients include DAP-diammonium phosphate, Fermax, Fermaid & yeast hulls.

Great overview here: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/yeast_nutrients.htm

Latest posts

Back