WineXpert Wine Kit considerations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I have recently been asked to be a maid of honor at a wedding.
smiley32.gif

I would like to make a great kit (red) and no expenses should be spared.

They like a wine called "Dornfelder" (I believe it's a Merlot/Cab-Sav hybrid), but I know no kit manufacturers make something like that. I would like to ask you kit-winers what you would suggest I get. Again, no expense should be spared for these wonderful people.

Thanks,

Martina

Not sure which red would be most like Dornfelder, but here is a general description for somebody with a lot of kit experience to try to come up with a similar variety.

<H2>Dornfelder </H2>

This young grape-variety was developed 1955 in Weinsberg, aimed to get a high colored type of red wine. After 1975 it was spread in the German wine-growing areas and it became one of the most successful new grapevines in German wine-history. The wine has a dark ruby red color. It's great bouquet and its strong taste suits very good to strong roast, wild deer or cheese. Some people taste a hint of clove and chocolate in this particular Varietal.

A lot of them I have seen listed describe them as a sweet wine.Edited by: appleman

I found this info and it would be helpful if you could ask what particular brand they enjoy since it could help point us in the right direction.

The BATF recently passed legislation allowing Dornfelder to be listed as a varietal on wines produced in the United States. Although the vine has yet to make a serious dent in United States wine culture, the success of this red grape in its native Germany has led to widespread experimentation with the varietal in Canada and the United Kingdom. Dornfelder was created in 1955, in the town of Weinsberg, to add pigment to the often pale reds of its northern homeland. Its parents are the relatively unknown Helfensteiner and Heroldrebe. Dornfelder had an inauspicious beginning. As of 1970, there were only 250 acres of Dornfelder in Germany. By 2000, the number had risen to over 10,000 acres, solidifying Dornfelder’s reputation as the most successful red wine crossing in German history. Early versions of Dornfelder were often made as a ‘Beaujolais’-styled wine. Modern versions tend to be primarily vinified dry, but occasionally off-dry. In their youth, Dornfelder-based wines can have intense blackberry and sour cherry aromas, with a refreshingly tart palate and soft tannic structure. Some producers have also seen the potential for creating age worthy wines, focusing less on its youthful fruit character, and more on the grape’s structural harmony.

Some versions are described as this: full bodied red with plenty of tannin, but unusual because it's on the sweet side.

That description contradicts with what masta posted andthe reason for that is because there is still a lot of experimentation going on and the varietal is mostly used for blending.

I've seen it described as a German Pinot Noir substitute and the grape is actually a cross between Pinot Noir and some other variety. It was originally created to give lighter colored German reds a darker color.

Judging from the description masta posted and others I've read I'm thinking Beaujolais/Pinot mix with a little back sweeten. ??This is a tough one though because of the extremes the tasting notes have taken.

EDIT: I don't know if my blending quote is true for Germany. I've read that in the UK, Canada and France it's mostly used for blending. The grape has not caught on in the U.S.

EDIT 2: chocolate and blackberry suggest a merlot as well. Edited by: sangwitch

I agree with sang and have read the same info (high tannin, soft, full-bodied, sweet)....so we go back to finding out what brand/vineyard they like to pinpoint the exact style.Edited by: masta

If it ends up being a blend you could try Elite Vinters. I've never used this place but have considered it. You could get a Merlot/Cab-Save here. <a href="http://www.elitevintners.com" target="_blank">www.elitevintners.com

</A>

I guess another option would be to make the Merlot and Cab-Sav separately and blend them yourself.

I tried two different Dornfelders when I was in Slovakia last fall -- one was really good -- intense and deep red color, but tasted like nothing I'd had before so I can't give you a good "tastes like..." varietal description. But it was good!

The second was not nearly as good as the first, but had the same deep-red color and heavy mouth feel. Both were dry -- not a hint of sweetness.

Sorry I can't help more, but I wasn't taking notes when I tasted them!

Med, why don't you e-mail Tim V and ask his opinion as to what would be close to the Dornfelder. George has also made alot of kits,give him a call and ask his opinion.

Thanks everyone... :)

I have exactly 1 year until the wedding, and then about 25 years for the last bottle to age. :)

I was thinking of asking TimV, but he thinks I'm a Dornfelder maniac. I keep trying to get him to produce it, but he's not game. ;) Dornfelder is like the best wine I have ever had. It's fantastic.

I will drop George a line soon... Been hectic around here...

Thanks everyone!

M.

Back