wine juice in buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoS

Reaction score
When buying wine juice in buckets does it come with the yeast already added so you only need to thaw it out. I bought two buckets yesterday and gave them a good mix and recovered with the same lids. No fermentation yet. I expect it may take a couple of days just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

You'll have to test for...

PH
TA
So2
brix/SG

Adjust then pitch the yeast. If the So2 level is really really low you may have to use k meta first.
Unless its pasteurized juice.
I would find out what was done to it first.

Few places add yeast to buckets before sending them out. Get a yeast starter going and get it added into your pail. Do not add any meta to it until your fermentation is completed.

And Charles told me the acid is running around .55% to .57%

Julie is correct about Luva Bellas buckets all have yeast added. Rocky can confirm as he was at a workshop I had last year when the processor from Canada and us had a discussion about this process.

And Charles told me the acid is running around .55% to .57%

I got a hold of Luva Bella and they told me they do have yeast in the buckets. EC1118 I believe. They did say when it's as cold as it has been the yeast might have a hard time getting started and I may have to add a starter if it doesn't start.

Hi George,

First off I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife. I use the 1118 that has already been innoculated with. What I do is ferment in the basement where it is a little cooler, no brew belt, let it ferment nice and slow.

Check your acid levels and make sure they are up to at least .65%

Same here Julie. We had a good time.
I'll check for fermentation tomorrow and if not, I'll get a starter with 1118 going. I'm surprised though. Usually 1118 could ferment a rock!
I just need to learn PATIENCE!

Same here Julie. We had a good time.
I'll check for fermentation tomorrow and if not, I'll get a starter with 1118 going. I'm surprised though. Usually 1118 could ferment a rock!
I just need to learn PATIENCE!

LOL, yes you do, it may take a few days to warm up don't do anything for the next two days, just wait and see.

Julie said:
LOL, yes you do, it may take a few days to warm up don't do anything for the next two days, just wait and see.

I was surprised how long it took to warm up!

the buckets are very cold, it takes mine a couple days to warm up and then another day or two to start fermentation. These buckets have just arrived from South America, it is not like they have been sitting in a cooler at the winery.

the buckets are very cold, it takes mine a couple days to warm up and then another day or two to start fermentation. These buckets have just arrived from South America, it is not like they have been sitting in a cooler at the winery.

When I opened the pino gregio yesterday it had ice floating in it.

Exactly, George, These buckets came directly from Chili last week, they are frozen when they come here. If you get a juice bucket at the end of May it will have already started to ferment because it has been sitting in a cooler for several weeks.

Make sure you check your sg and acid.

Exactly, George, These buckets came directly from Chili last week, they are frozen when they come here. If you get a juice bucket at the end of May it will have already started to ferment because it has been sitting in a cooler for several weeks.

Make sure you check your sg and acid.

Thanks. I already checked them.

Thanks. I already checked them.

Roflmao, this is the other thing you need to do, backsweeten some of it for your sweetheart, aka your wife! Or you are never going to be able to have a full production going on!!!!

The Pino Gregio is for her. And I'm glad I bought it because we had an issue this morning. The Sangiovese decided to ferment last night and some one left the lid sealed. Well, our dining rooms hardwood floor now has a nice deep red sheen to it. It was an ID 10 T error.

My chardonnay has started fermentation.
Should I add peptic enzyme?

Latest posts

Back