WineXpert wine in bottle not clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled a WE chilean merlot after racking on two separate occasions once from primary to carboy
with everything still in as per instructions then before I bottled i racked into another carboy off the lees. Did not filter as never have with previous five kits. Now a problem. I held the bottles up to light as I was placing on their sides three days after bottling and I notice quite a bit of the lees in the bottles. Should I open all bottles and put into a carboy and re clear or just run the wine through some cheesecloth each time I open a bottle?

What were the temps when in clearing stage and did you degas well before adding fining agent. Degassing well is very important before adding fining agent so that the wine will clear properly. Temps in the low to mid 70's are also important for both degassing properly and when using fining agents. If you really dont like it being a little cloudy then you can either dump all back into carboy and wait till all has settled out or filter it to anther carboy and bottle.

I would just leave it if it were mine. When you open a bottle you can pour with care into a decanter or run it through a paper coffee filter before drinking.

Latest posts

Back