wine in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llnicely

Reaction score
My wine has been stabilized and aging in the carboy with an airlock, both properly topped. I found the airlock with the wine backed up into it. I am asking if anyone would have an explanation for this. I have two other carboys in the same location topped exactly the same with no back ups. Just curious and hoping this does not indicate a problem in the wine. Thanks.

Wine backing up into the airlock can happen- and does more often- as the weather warms up. That alone expands the wine somewhat in the carboy. What might have been 2 inches down in cold weather can suddenly go tight to the top. Then if you get changes in air pressure, a wine with a bit of gas left in it can force a bit of wine into the airlock. When I see that happen, I remove the airlock, drain and clean it. I then take a wine thife and remove a couple inches of wine to get it to the proper level and refit the airlock. be sure to refill the airlock with an appropriate liquid- like k-meta or vodka.

Thanks, I did remove and clean the airlock and took a sample to taste. It makes sense that air pressure differences and expansion would budge some into the airlock. Yet was puzzled as to why the other two carboys showed no indication of this, being that they are mere inches from each other. Again thanks.

I was reading this post and read about putting Vodka in theairlock. Why Vodka? I am still new and was wondering about this. Also, why on the subject, can you top off a carboy of wine with Vodka?

Why Vodka? Two fold. If a fly or germs get inside the airlock, the vodka kills them. Secondly if any of the vodka gets sucked back in the wine, it is sterile so it can't taint the wine.

Top off wine with vodka? Not a great idea. Generally a half bottle to a bottle is needed for topping off, so the vodka would make the wine a bit too hot (high ABV) and affect the wine.

The only reason to add vodka or Everclear is to fortify your wine using the Parsons Square.
Follow Applemens advise.

Tepe,
what is the "Parson Square"..... ?
Where can I get info on this?

Wanted to try fortifying some wines that my mother-in-law likes, (gotta make those first as well). Keeping her Happy is of coarse a great concern.
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

Pearson's Square is an equation used to determine the amount of a higher abv alcohol to add to a lower abv alc. to up the lower one. Usually used to up the abv of a Port wine using Brandy or Grain Alc as the higher product.

Pearson's Square</font>

Cool site Wade. Once again, I learn something about winemaking I didn't know about.
Of course, it's more fun (although not as exact)pouring a glass of brandy and adding a shot of wine and drinking to see how it tastes, then pouring another fresh glass of brandy and adding two shots of wine, etc, etc, etc until it tastes right or you forget where you left off and have to start over.....
smiley2.gif

wade said:
Pearson's Square is an equation used to determine the amount of a higher abv alcohol to add to a lower abv alc. to up the lower one. Usually used to up the abv of a Port wine using Brandy or Grain Alc as the higher product.

Pearson's Square
I was hoping you would link it to yours

Next logical Question seems to be; what wines can you do this too, and not have them taste really bad?

I would think that making a fruit wine @ 18% - 20% would destroy it.

Do I use full bodied wines only so they don't taste watered down?

I wouldn't do it to any wines myself. If you do though, only a really full bodied red would be the way to go, and don't overdo it.

Full bodied wines only. No to fruit wines. They need to be in the 10% range. The fruit will not be able to handle anything real high.

Iwould think some of the berry wines have enough body tohold up if you wanted to try them - raspberry, possibly blackberry, black currant, etc.I've had a black currant port that was quite good. As appleman and tepe said, most however don't have enough body for the high alcohol content.

That is what I expected you folks to come back with, good, then I am on the right track.
Any suggestions for a possible kit to do this to just to experiment with?

Blackberry and Black Currant are for sure, Raspberry is a strong flavor but Im not sure of raspberry port!

I wasnt talking about kit ports but since mention it the Cellar Craft Porto Corinto looks very interesting!
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">108947 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Porto Corinto (Ruby Port &amp; Black Currant)

Classic
ruby port infused with flavourful black currant. Intense, rich and
savory! 16% alcohol. Enjoy after 2 or 3 weeks aging. Best after a year
in the bottle.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$87.99</td></tr></t></table>I was actually talking about making a fruit wine like the Black Currant I always make and turning it into a Port, Jobe made 1 awhile back using Light Malt Extract added to it to add more mouthfeel and body and upped the abv with grain alc. and it was awesome. I still have 1 bottle in my cellar!

dragonmaster42 said:
Cool site Wade. Once again, I learn something about winemaking I didn't know about.
Of course, it's more fun (although not as exact)pouring a glass of brandy and adding a shot of wine and drinking to see how it tastes, then pouring another fresh glass of brandy and adding two shots of wine, etc, etc, etc until it tastes right or you forget where you left off and have to start over.....
smiley2.gif
I don't know if I learned something or just got more confused
smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back