WINE GARDEN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Worked in the Wine Garden today....not nearly as impresive as the other guys on this Forum....but this is just 'The Fruit Lady'..

Asparagus [not for wine] raspberries, rhubarb and a few grapes [45 + a few extras]...

winegardenSmall.jpg

3 rows of strawberries, garlic and another row of raspberries and a few extra grape plants...

smallfruitSmall.jpg

Baby grapes on the vine.....

budsSmall.jpg

One of the Louise Swenson vines....was such a tiny tissue culture, but made it through the winter...

LouiseSmall.jpg

And under the tent...salad fix'in's

saladSmall.jpg

At the far end I have been setting out a black currant, sandcherries and Nanking cherries....still waiting for more black currants, Aronia, gooseberries and a Josta berry...will also be getting more Juneberries to match up with the plants at the back.

Will Post more photos as the plants arrive.....

Love fruit wine!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

I would say what you have there is pretty darn impressive! By anyones standards. I love your nice dark soil, is that natural to your area or compost material that was brought in? Looks like it would be great for plants.

You have a wonderful and fully impressive wineyard and garden, and lawn, and farm and house and........... You tire me out with your gardening and I'm not even the one doing it
smiley36.gif

I would just love to join with your husband in turning out 300 acres of crops!

appleman said:
I would just love to join with your husband in turning out 300 acres of crops!

You and me both Appleman. That would be an experience of a lifetime.

Jobe, I did grow a lot of crops before, and it was some of the most enjoyable time of my life. At one time I had 60 acres of vegetables, 50 acres of corn and 75 acres of hay, plus milked our cows with my lovely wife. It's a good thing I was a little younger then
smiley36.gif

I have had uncles who worked farms all their lives around the Canastota area. When I was young I would love to go over on the weekends and help out. I also loved to go home on Sundays.......... It's the hardest work anyone would love to do, it's the most honest job anyone could have.

I love our compost pile...we add to it all year...all the garden debris, kitchen scraps, etc....and a few loaders full of dirt from a livestock pond...then I have Jim turn it with the tractor loader, start a new pile every 2 years....
However we do need some rotted manure for the veggie garden....don't have enough compost for everything...That's the only thing I miss about not having livestock...no manure....no flies is good tho.

The strawberries are blooming up a storm....

berrySmall.jpg

It got really cold last night, like in the mid 30's...this time it was clear and calm....I did not fluff the straw over the strawberries...I see a couple with black spots on th blossom....frost might have touched some of the baby strawberries...they are very sensitive.

maybefrostSmall.jpg

Hope we didn't loose too many berries...just to liking that strawberry wine.

Quote from Trigham..

NW ,
smiley3.gif
it seems u have a virtual vintners dream garden going there with many varieties , can u explore them with picture and descriptions please.

Trigham....you asked for a tour of the Wine Garden...so here goes..

RhubarbSmall.jpg

The outside has 2 rows of asparagus...

Then a row of Redwing Raspberries.....they are said to be Fall Bearing and can be mowed off to the ground in the fall...they bear on new wood that grows that season....however...being so far North I have found that if you leave that growth it will produce a spring crop on the year old wood, then the new growth comes through and bears on it's new wood....I have found that most years in this area not all the fruit is ripe by hard frost...I think this variety would do better a bit further South...I have debated removing this row, but then comes spring and there is a crop to harvest.

The next row is an old row ofsummer bearing Raspberries...I have started a new row of this variety at the other end of the garden, they should produce well this summer.
In that row is also Canada Red Rhubarb...it does very well up here, nice red stalks....we also have some older varietyplants that came with the homestead, they get huge...I call those plants 'Poor Man's Gunnera' they get that big.

Next are rows of grapes..
BabyGrapesSmall-1.jpg

A row of 9 plants of Beta....a very hardy juice grape.
A row of Valiant grapes, those I have made wine from...not too bad.
A row containing trial plants of hardy WINE grapes, Frontenac, King of the North, Paraie Star and Louise Swenson.
Next a row of tender grapes...Eldewisse, Swenson Red, Canadice [those are grown on panels and are laid down in the fall and covered with straw.
The next row will be Frontenac...have the small plants growing, but need the help of my husband to get the posts in.

smallfruitSmall.jpg

Next a row of June Bearing strawberries, thisblossom I thought might have gotten frost, but too few showed signs...I think it was hail damaged a few flowers...
maybefrostSmall.jpg

A row of Everbearing Strawberries a row of garlic and another row of Everbearing Strawberries.

berrySmall.jpg

The a row of assorted plants, a nursery row of grapes, shrubs and seedling plants...then the last row is rapberries....In front is a herb garden, lettuceand spinach I grow under the little tents to keep them clean and bug free.....then comes the vegetable area.

Around the back grow native fruits...Nannyberries, Buffalo Berries, High Bush Cranberries for wild life and Elderberries for wine....
Wild Plums....
WildPlumsSmall.jpg

Sand Cherries...
SandCherrySmall.jpg

June Berries...

JuneberriesSmall.jpg

JuneBerryfruitSmall.jpg

Nanking Cherries....
CherryBushSmall.jpg
NankingCherriesSmall.jpg

As well we have wild Chokecherries and other wild fruits....
We planted apples, crabapples and a pear in 1999-2001
1999Small.jpg

CrabApplesSmall.jpg

They are coming along nicely...
ApplesSmall-1.jpg

The last 2 years we planted more apples, crabapples, full sized plums, another pear [for pollenation] and some new Cherry trees from Alberta Canada called Bali...
smallSmall.jpg

Started a new area this spring...will have Black Currant, Aronia, Gooseberries, Josta Berries, more Nanking Cherries and Sand Cherries
plantedSmall.jpg

It's been a fun adventure and hope to get wine from some of these fruits this year....that was your tour...

To be continued.....

I think you are trying to replace all the worlds lostvegetation in your own garden NW. Great job. What do you do in all your spare time? It can't take long to tend to all that
smiley36.gif

Appleman....Eden township is just across the road....so mine is not the Garden of Eden...but close.

NW , What can I say thats was amazing
smiley32.gif
, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this wonderful picture tour for us.

I am envious of your property it is absolutley what I dreamt of most of my life although, I would have more of a veggie garden as well. The problem where I live is that the growing season is wayyy too short, about 45 days shorter than yours by the way yours are coming. my concorde hasnt even begun to start leaving yet , but a good sign is the trees have budded everywhere and are starting to leave now. so it will be soon.

I am thinking of a time way back when when my grandfather had a huge outdoor plot such as yours andI thought he was crazy. I wish I was a little older then and I would have helped and maintained that plot after his death. The landhas beenused for an apartment complex now.
Any way thanksagainand I wish you a great growing season!!
smiley1.gif

I have found there is no better healer than working in the soil. It clears the mind and seems to have a rejuvenating effect on the whole body. I used to havea garden about that size, but in Dallas, the lots are quite big enough. Looking forward to moving out someday and having a nice garden. Just need to keep growing the store.

Set out more wine plants...they finally are arriving, almost too late to expect any growth from bare root plants this season....was assured they are guaranteed....will baby them along and hope for the best.

WinePlantsSmall.jpg

Other fruits are showing good growth...the recent rains sure helped..

Raspberry buds...

RaspberryBudsSmall.jpg

Developing Strawberries....

BabystrawberriesSmall.jpg

Developing Grapes...

FrontenacSmall-1.jpg

Some of the Native plants are blooming...we planted some of these out in our shelter belt of trees for wildlife...Nanny Berry [Wild Raisin]

NannyberrySmall.jpg

High Bush Cranberry....

HighBushCranberrySmall.jpg

Mountain Ash.... [these flowers are kind of stinky]

MoutainAshSmall.jpg

I have seen recipes for High Bush Cranberry Wine and Mountain Ash Wine....but the birds have to have something to eat too.
smiley4.gif

*Edit...I see a little bruising and holes in leaves from the hail last week...other wise everything seems healthy.

NW have you ever used justthe elder flowers in your wines. I am wondering at what point you would harvest the flowers for this use ands what portion of the flower you would use in the wine Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back