Wine from tests

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
Ok, just received my first kit from George. I read through all of the instructions a couple of times and I'm about to get started. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions like any newbie, so here's my first.
After I have drawn off some wine for testing the S.G., what do I do with the wine in the test jar after the test? Seems like a waste to chuck it, but is it safe / recommended to add it back to the carboy or fermenter?? Of course the jar and hydrometer will be clean and sanitized.

Thanks for the advice!

It seems thetoughest part will be the 6-12 month wait before uncorking a bottle.

Welcome GrapeApe! Glad to have you on board.

I always pour the wine back in with the rest after taking an SG reading.

And you are correct, for me at least, the hardest part is letting the wine age a bit.
smiley2.gif
After you get going with a couple of batches you may want to consider making up a "quick drinking" wine to consume while others age. George gave me that advice and it's worked quite well for me.

I test before adding the oak or yeast. Instead of getting the test jar out, just drop the Hydrometer into the fermenter or bucket.

Welcome to the forum Grapeape.

GrapeApe said:
It seems thetoughest part will be the 6-12 month wait before uncorking a bottle.

Wow.............

I thought it said "Best if consumed in 6 months"..............
smiley36.gif

I add ................. Most of mine back to the carboy......... I do add a little to my glass for further testing.........
smiley2.gif
Edited by: jobe05

Welcome Grapeape. Feel free to ask away. No questions go unanswered
here! I too add back to carboy. Okay, okay, I take a little for myself!

Edited by: wade

Grapeape, welcome. I too add it back to the carboy, minus a little taste. I heard someone here say "taste at every oppurtunity", I follow that diligently.
smiley36.gif

Dave

Welcome Grapeape and the practice of adding the wine from the test cylinder back to the fermenter or carboy is perfectly fine if you have sanitized your test equipment properly.

Thanks for the help and the tip to sample along the way (I like the way you guys think). I just sprinkled the yeast on my first batch. And so it begins.

Welcome GrapeApe...I remember watching that cartoon as a kid!
smiley20.gif

grapeape.jpg
</A>Edited by: masta

Yeah, I'm 6' 5" and 290 pounds. I usuallyhave a beard and I love wine, so it seemed fitting.

How can I make that picture show up on my posts in the forum? I love it!!

"Beegley Beagley"

GrapeApe said:
Yeah, I'm 6' 5" and 290 pounds.   I usually have a beard and I love wine, so it seemed fitting.

How can I make that picture show up on my posts in the forum?  I love it!!

"Beegley Beagley"

Here are a bunch of Grape Ape Images from Google

http://images.google.com/images?q=g...s=com.microsoft:en-US&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

Highlight, Copy & Paste the above Link to your browser...

To keep any of those images to use right click and Save to your Desktop or folder...then use them from there.

As for putting them as your Avatar or Post signature ...well...I think you'd go to Settings at the top of this page...then to Forum Prefrences...Actually you should get that info from someone more savvy than myself.... I am sure others will help you with that..
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

GrapeApe said:
Yeah, I'm 6' 5" and 290 pounds. I usuallyhave a beard and I love wine, so it seemed fitting.

How can I make that picture show up on my posts in the forum? I love it!!

"Beegley Beagley"

I took the liberty to upload the picture as your avatar...does that work for you?

As NW said you just find a picture and saveto your machinethen upload in your "edit profile" under settings.

Note: Images must be of the type, jpg, jpeg, gif, png, and have a maximum file size of 35KBEdited by: masta

Back