Wine fermenting temps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasj

Junior
Reaction score
Do all wines regardless of type (fruit,kit,juice,concentrate) require the same temperature for fermenting? Or do some need it to be warmer or colder for optimal fermentation?
And what is the optimal temperature?

Yes, it does depend on the yeast.

Also, different wines do better with some yeast strains more than others, so really, best temperature depends on the must/yeast combination.

robie said:
Yes, it does depend on the yeast.

Also, different wines do better with some yeast strains more than others, so really, best temperature depends on the must/yeast combination.

Very good point.

Roger

So does anyone have a link that discuses this in detail, or is there information on this from some yeast manufactures?

Cause there are 2 main places that I can setup my carboys and equipment, one is the shed and in florida the shed is gonna be way to hot I'm guessing, and the other is probably in my closet or bathroom, and they pretty much stay at mid to low 70's year round.. So basically I'm wanting to make wines that will work best at those temps.

Last edited:
You will probably want to stick with the closet. When you get the temps. too much higher than the 70's the ferment goes too fast and you can wind up with some strange tastes from the yeast being stressed a bit. By fermenting too fast it can also blow off some of the flavors you want to keep in there. Arne.

Yes, there are some cultures that state their temp range and you can find these by doing a search of the culture you intend to use so that you know something about it.

But I think Doug is asking about fermentation temps in general. Control of temp can be a useful tool to your ferments. Whites should have a cool ferment ----like 70-72 degrees--so you don't lose the volatiles of the wine.

For red wine done from grapes, if you get the temp up to about 80 degrees, you get more extraction of color from the skins giving you darker wines. Or you can cold soak too to get very inky color. You can make a rose wine by fermenting at cooler temps. Like maybe around 75 degrees which will limit the color extraction.

When you get into MLF's the MLB has to ferment within more critical temp ranges or it can get stuck. And MLF's are never suppossed to go above 75 degrees because it can promote unwanted bacterial growth.

Good to know, thanks

Looks like ill be doing mainly white wines in my closet setup

Latest posts

Back