WineXpert Wine Expert Australian Mataro-Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley32.gif

Racked from primary to carboy last night at an SG of 1.008 and a temp of 68 degrees. Within 5 minutes of racking, the fermentation was going well again.

2005-10-29_032114_mataroshirazrackedtocarboy102805.jpg

Thanks Hippie and Martina. This one sure had a lot of Oak in it so I am anxious to dee how it turns out as compared to my first Australian Shiraz

Stabilised and cleared my Shiraz this evening at an SG of 0.992 and a must temp of 72 degrees. This was the 3rd consecutive day with the same SG reading so I was confident it was ready. However, I was not ready for the foaming I got from the degassing and was glad Momma was not there to see the foam boiling out of the carboy onto her dining room table
smiley36.gif
The wine was already a good 3-4 inches below the neck of the carboy and I drew off another 3-4 cups butwhen I stirred in the campden and sorbate it was a sight to behold. I have not experienced a degassing quite like this one. As I brought the fizz-x up to full speed it created a vortex about 4-5 inches deep and sucked the foam down into it. When I would stop the fizz-x the foam would come rushing back to the top and overflowing again. It eventually quit overflowing and I then adde the isinglass and stirred her more.I know I stirred this one a good 8 minutes total and there is still a small layer of foam on the top

Wooeee! Was that your first carboy volcano, Waldo? It will for sure surprise ya, huh?

Good job!

smiley36.gif

It was a shocker Hippie...Like i said..was sure glad Momma wasn't around to see that foam running out on her table. I did have a towel under the carboy though and that helped some I just kept a stirring it though
smiley36.gif

Went to kitchen for a snack and checked my Shiraz to see if the foam had disippated and
smiley5.gif
What the hell is this?

2005-11-07_193728_shiraz_gook.jpg

It is definately not foam

2005-11-07_193752_shiraz_goop_2.jpg

Is it the oak powder congealed? Did I stir it too much? It is a gooey mess...George..what the heck am I doing wrong here?

2005-11-07_193826_shiraz_goop_3.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

I dont think thats the case Hippie. I massaged and kneaded that bag good before I added it to the carboy and then stirred it a good 3-4 minutes with the fizz-x. It was still hanging in there this morning. I sanitized the handle of a spoon and stirred it a little and it began breaking up so out came the fiz-x again. I stirred it 90 seconds at full bore and whatever it was is now mixed back into the wine. Will just wait and see what happens from here.

The only thing you are doing wrong is over analysing a kit wine!

Kit wines are not liike a scratch wine. Follow the instructions and let it work. I tell all my customers to do a step and walk away from it.

What you have on the top is just CO2. It will go away. If you are impatient, take the handle end of your spoon or paddle and break it up just like sticking your finger in the head on a beer to make the foam go away.

In addition, don't ever adjust the beginning S.G. or anything else of a wine kit, unless you like voidiing the manufacturers warranty. The starting S.G. can be off for a variety of reasons. The most common is not stirring enough. I have made over 120 batches without any problems, whatsoever. There are only 2 real reasons for taking the intial S.G. First, to make sure you stirred in the water well and second to make sure your kit is not bad. Unless you are way off on the S.G. 1.020 versus 1.070, your kit is fine. Remember, WE makes over 800,000 wine kits per year. I think they know what they are doing. Quit worrying about your kit wine and just make it and bottle it. It will be fine.

This goo happens sometimes Waldo...I saw it again with a recent Italian Amarone kit after stabilizing and fining.I just gave her a gentle rocking as I do to help knock the fines off the sides and settle the lees and the goo fell to the bottom.

I had the same thing on my RJS Cellar Classic Harvest Pinot Grigio kit. The liquid isinglass gets caught up in the foam created from stirring and starts to fine the foam. It gets all gooey, but after a week or so, it just drops and integrates into the wine. I thought mine would never clear, but I just waited and it cleared awesome. I think your re-stir of it all the next day just accomplished faster what time would have taken care of anyways. No worries there. I think you will have a great wine there!

Thanks All.....I have added another notch to my "Learning Stick" on Wine Making
smiley20.gif

Back