Wine expanded up into airlock.... is this bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely its because of temp changing and difference in air pressure.

Glad to help a friend spend $$$! I have 3 of them now and I have only the top shelf's left to fill, either I need to drink more or make less! :sm

If I would just bottle more of what I have already in carboys, I too, would need at least one more big rack rack. I seem to put off the bottling part. The carboys are aging on the other side of the same closet.

That colder temperature is perfect for aging. Maybe you could make a special closet/small room next to an outside wall and not insulate inside it. That way when you close the door on that closet, it will stay very cool inside.

I have a basement closet that, though it is insulated, it is on an outside wall; the temp is in the 50's in the winter and in the mid 60's in the summer. I age everything in there.

While you're right, part of the trouble is on the side of the basement where I have all the wine making, the top 3 feet of the foundation wall are exposed to sun and warm, not below grade. I'll at least leave the floor un-insulated in that area (likely using ceramic tile). I will certainly have to consider a "closet," where maybe the lower portion of the wall that is below grade is still exposed.

I've also got estimates to put Cultured Stone veneer finish on the exterior, which should further reduce temp fluctuations. Who knows, we may even use the stone veneer inside to give a more authentic wine cellar aesthetic.

Back