Wine Exchange?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorosco

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a wine exchange ? I know they do it with cigars just wondering if there is anyone or has anyone here ever set anything up like that??
smiley38.gif

I was wondering that myself the other day. It appears that a few people here do it, but it's not advertised. Not sure what the rules (if any) would be.

I do it informally with another home winemaker in the next county whenever we get together. Personally, I think it's a great idea and I'd love to try it. I don't know about the legalities across state lines though... It's not interstate commerceand I don't know how it would be any different than an equallyheavily regulated substance such as tobacco.

It would be considered a gift .. I know you can not charge without a license but it would be like sending your "Aunt SallY" a gift ..

We discussed this to some extent when we were considering shipping wine to Winestock 2006 for the tasting.

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1472&KW=shipping+wine

Every state has their own sets of rules for both shipping out and accepting wine. HOWEVER, since you are not selling the wine and the wine is going from one private party to another, there probably would be little notice if you decided to ship wine in the mail to each other. UNLESS, you have breakage in shipping. This would be a problem. If you do not declare the contents of the package, it will be considered a hazardous material and the consequences could be messy.

All that to say that a wine exchange is a great idea and I would love to be involved in one. The rules and regulations of wine shipping have thrown a wet blanket on the idea, though.

It is pretty expensive to ship a bottle of wine(marinade) through UPS.
It cost me $24 to ship 1 bottle of marinade(wine) from Ct. to Ariz.
regular and it would be $44 to ship it 3 day air.I almost fell over
when he told me the price. My friend and I at work exchange bottles
frequently though.

Edited by: wadewade

What I thought about doing was right before the next Winestock to place a thread here listing wines I have available to trade. If others that was attending did the same we could work out between ourselves what we might want to swap and bring it with us.

This might not work well for those that fly in but for those that drive, it won't be an issue. We could then get together and swap our goods and bring home some true treasures to enjoy. I get a bigger kick out of someone else enjoying the wines I produce than I do enjoying them myself.

I know this isn't really the idea being discussed here but it is my attempt to get ahold of some of your good stuff.
smiley36.gif
Anyone who knows they will be attending the next event interested?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I wish I could get out there and I agree about having someone else
enjoy my wine. If it werent for such high shipping costs of sending a
bottle of(marinade), I would try to ship everyone one of my wines.

Latest posts

Back