Wine does not last long once opened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keverman

Reaction score
I have a '22 Marquette that I just started drinking that came out really nice. I notice, though, that by the very next day after opening it's already considerably more harsh. I can certainly hit with a little argon and that helps, but I'm wondering why it goes off so quickly compared to commercial wines. Not enough sulfite at bottling, maybe? I can test a newly opened bottle to see what free SO2 it has, but wonder after bottle aging what would be expected? Thanks for any knowledge you can pass along!

Could be SO2 levels or just the fact that cold hardy hybrids don't have a whole lot of tannin which also helps like SO2. I always add tannin to my CHH wines so they will age longer. The next time you open a bottle and are not going to finish it same day, try pouring half into a split (375ml) bottle and stick a cork in it so it has little to no air exposure. Drink your other half the same day and try the other half in a day or so and compare.

I use Vacuvin as well, and I have found that some wines last longer than others. Some commercial wines start to taste oxidized by day 2, while others can last 2-3 days. I think that the difference is due to differing antioxidant factors in the wine. Tannins and SO2 will both help prevent oxidation. I suspect that fruits that have a high level of other natural antioxidants such as blueberries or cranberries will keep longer as well.

Early last year I bottled two wines that had both sat in carboys for over a year without adding any SO2 (it was a busy time). The pear wine was highly oxidized while the blueberry wine was not.

Not enough sulfite at bottling, maybe? I can test a newly opened bottle to see what free SO2 it has, but wonder after bottle aging what would be expected?
I suspect that this might be a factor. If the free SO2 in a newly opened bottle of wine is very low, it won't keep as long in the fridge. If you have a different wine that will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge, it would be interesting to measure the free SO2 in both so that you have a comparison. For a fair comparison, it would be best to compare two wines that have similar tannin levels.

#1 risk is oxidation, I would expect acetaldehyde to reach taste levels in a week or so, not over night. Are you a super taster? I would describe acetaldehyde as a burn in the back of the throat swallowing.
Higher meta and tannin as noted already. We are home wine makers , I have been increasing the meta dosages over the years.
Marquette has so so tannins. I describe most northern reds as flinty or “northern hybrid flavor “

Sounds like a low SO2 wine, nothing wrong with that! If you're not finishing a bottle before it starts to go, consider smaller bottles. I regularly bottle in 350mL bottles for wines I don't trust to stand up to much more than a light breeze lol

Last edited:
Sounds like a low SO2 wine, nothing wrong with that! If you're not finishing a bottle before it starts to go, consider smaller bottles. I regularly bottle in 350mL bottles for wines I don't trust to stand up to much more than a light breeze lol
I also have been buying up 350mL bottles....LOVE those little things, so handy!

#1 risk is oxidation, I would expect acetaldehyde to reach taste levels in a week or so, not over night. Are you a super taster? I would describe acetaldehyde as a burn in the back of the throat swallowing.
Higher meta and tannin as noted already. We are home wine makers , I have been increasing the meta dosages over the years.
Marquette has so so tannins. I describe most northern reds as flinty or “northern hybrid flavor “
I am definitely NOT a super taster...I wish. Low S02 seems to be the likely thing. For a red with around 3.4 pH what would you say you are bottling at?

I am a bad food scientist.

Twenty years ago with recipes out of books too low. This evolved into 0.2 gm per gallon target pH 3.3 +/- on everything which started to produce drinkable wines. Last year with wild MLF on everything apple combined with letting the pH start at 3.5 & 10%ABV I started 0.3 gm per gallon.
Yes I could run ppm with the Vinmetrica chemicals aren’t available in town so I don’t bother testing everything. My background assumption is fruit wines are zero ppm free SO2

Back